Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When drawing Train Cards on your turn you can either:

- Draw 2 Blind cards
OR
- Draw 1 face-up card

We have always played this way because that is how we thought it was played. I didn't catch the actual rule until I downloaded the TtR:E iPhone version during the free promotion this past week. Being able to always draw 2 cards, unless its a face-up locomotive, makes the game move faster, but we like the push-your-luck type mechanism this variant adds to the game.

We tried playing the normal rules after we learned them but we found that its too much of a no-brainer to always take at least 1 face-up card. There is rarely a turn where there is not a single card you need out of the 5 face-up cards.

For such a simple variant, we find that it makes the game that much more interesting. You can either pick 1 card you know will help you out from the face-up pile, or push-your-luck and try (and hope) for that same card while also making your hand bigger for future moves by drawing 2 blind.

What do you all think? Does this unbalance the game in someway that I am missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but in the long-term, drawing 2 blind cards will always help you more than one face up. Try do nothing for the first 5-10 turns except draw 2 cards instead of the others' one, then see how much of an advantage you have since your hand size is double theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is true that repeatedly taking one card will put you at a disadvantage, but nobody is going to do that for that exact reason.

I've played games where I need 1 more card thats in the face-up line, but I know that drawing two blind cards will benefit me in the long run. So I draw two blind. Then guess what happens? I dont pull the card I need. In fact, I pull two cards that dont help me at all! Then what do I do next turn? Take that same risk? Or just take the face-up card so I can finally build that four train route? These are the decisions I think are fun to make. With the normal rules, there are never decisions like that. Its a no-brainer: take the card I need because theres no risk in taking face-up cards.

Try it and see how it plays.

EDIT: for clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fallenius
Sweden
(södra Älvsborg)
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think this variant makes the game less strategic. It gives only one viable strategy: draw two blind train cards for at least the first 10-15 turns. I will finally have cards for some connection between Palermo-Moskva, Edinburgh-Athína or whatever my longest route is. Picking only one face-up card, means losing half a turn, and why would I do that?

As I interpret the TtR games system, locomotives are supposed to be expensive. With this variant, they are as expensive/cheap as any other card.

No, this variant is not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're removing the part of the game that lets you know what colours other players are going for. If Player A takes two green, and then another green next turn, not only do you have some idea of what route they're targeting, but you know that your chances of drawing green are lower, since they're currently collecting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.