Subject: Cost Concerns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I think many of you have noticed that GW has just increased prices again recently. I really like this game. I enjoy painting and assembling the minis, but it's getting to be way too expensive for me.

Anyone have any advice on how to find the mini's cheaper? I want to keep playing, but GW seems determined to price me out of the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Connors
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried ebay? The nice thing about the Warhammer games is that they always seem to have a steady stream of players entering and leaving the hobby, so you can usually find some good deals online if you're patient.

Several retailers offer discounts on GW stuff, but you usually have to call in to order them due to GW's strange discount policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What you do is ride the wave. Every time GW does this they lose a batch of players. You watch e-bay for these people selling off their now useless collections, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly, I play other games. I don't know if that is of any interest, but if you want recommendations I can provide them. Also, I think a lot of people use miniatures from other manufacturers. There are more companies that make fantasy minis than sci fi, but you can find both.

If I was going to make a 40k army using official minis I would rely heavily on conversions, non standard uses of figures, and scratch building. I've never been all that interested in having an army that looks like everyone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem seems to be that a majority of the Warhammer and 40k players seem to be comprised of convention goers and/or local GW sanctioned places. So proxies and whatnod can become problematic depending on whos enforcing what rules.

Totally a non-problem if you are content to play with what you have. But so many arent ok with that. Such is.

If their sales keep plummeting then its very likely GW will collapse under the immense weight of its own greed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

If their sales keep plummeting then its very likely GW will collapse under the immense weight of its own greed.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think about the huge collection of board games I could have for the cost of all that 40K stuff I bought I feel pretty sick. The boardgames each offer their own unique experiences and they are easier to get other people into. You don't need your own army etc. I have quit the miniature wargaming hobby because I don't have a heart for games full of murder and occult references but you could easily buy a pile of good self contained wargames for the price of an army. Then there is the problem of new rulebooks and codexes coming out all the time... Do yourself a favour and get into boardgames. Board wargames are less frustrating too. There is nothing more frustrating than losing a battle because your army was not suited to fighting your opponents or there was too much/not enough terrain or you misjudged line of sight etc. Board games are more balanced and usually quicker too so if you get beaten you can play again. Most boardgames are designed for multiple players too so you have fun with more than one other person. Perhaps you play for fun and your opponents play to crush? Perhaps you come up against a rules lawyer or someone who cheats? The GW scene is not a scene I will miss. I found that games like Eclipse, War of the Ring, Axis & Allies etc. all scratch a similar itch. When I am immersed in a good game of Axis & Allies I am not thinking about Warhammer. Also board gamers will not care if you painted your bits or not. If you love painting your bits, do it as a hobby. Buy minis you like and paint them up. You don't need to pick from the same boring army all the time too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing wrong with GW games. They're fun and many people like them. But the price is a problem for many indeed. The comments above have listed many usefull options that I confirm: eBay, alternative miniatures, sharing a book with friends instead of one copy each, and common sense to use certain miniatures as replacements for other types. Like: "These Space Marines of mine now count as Terminators in this battle, is that fine for you?" "Okay, let's play!" ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two great geeklists with a lot of skirmish level miniature wargames (and some larger army sized as well), both lists have a great group of people, so check them out and ask any questions you may have... You could find a game just as fun that only requires a handful of miniatures and a much lower buy in cost!

Currently Available Non-Prepainted Miniature Skirmish Games (A Cardboard Carnage Geeklist)
A Geeklist of My Ideal Miniatures Games! (Released and Soon-to-be Released)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
Here are two great geeklists with a lot of skirmish level miniature wargames (and some larger army sized as well), both lists have a great group of people, so check them out and ask any questions you may have... You could find a game just as fun that only requires a handful of miniatures and a much lower buy in cost!

Currently Available Non-Prepainted Miniature Skirmish Games (A Cardboard Carnage Geeklist)
A Geeklist of My Ideal Miniatures Games! (Released and Soon-to-be Released)

Yeah, check out those geeklists, they have a lot of suggestions.

And just since its so relevant.... I don't know how they play, but I'd say the closest thing to WH40k and WHFantasy would be the new games from Mantic Games: http://www.manticgames.com/

Kings of War fantasy
Warpath sci fi

The models look pretty good, the company seems to have some good momentum...and for the lack of a better work, this game seems to be the "poor mans" Warhammer...although like I said, I haven't played it...so it might actually play very differently.

The sci fi one, Warpath, features two great factions that GW never made or got rid of......a sci fi future Skaven-like army (Veer-myn) and the Squats like race of future dwarves, the Forge Fathers. The also have a human faction and an ork faction.

In their fantasy game, they have brought back the Chaos Dwarfs that GW abandoned and calls them the Abyssal Dwarves and also have elves, dwarves, undead, etc.

The prices are definitely a bit cheaper...I was looking at prices...the battle boxes are the same price (around 120 bucks) but you get a lot more models than you would in GW's battle box. Vehicles and infantry boxes are a bit cheaper than GW, too.

It looks like a sort-of clone with good support. Definitely worth reading the rules to see if its for you.

Anyone here play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't really call it the "poor mans" warhammer... It is cheaper, but not a ton... The rules are all free online, so no ten thousand page rule books and no extra codex books, etc...

The main appeal would be the fact it is much easier and faster to play than 40k or warhammer and it is a bit less expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.