$10.00
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a blunt question, but don't misunderstand... I'm trying to convince myself to order the Anniversary Edition, but I need more persuasion!

I already have the base game and it's only been played 3-4 times. I also just bought the Big Expansion a month or so ago. It's still shrink-wrapped as I haven't had the occasion to open it yet. So, how can I justify the Anniversary Edition when all I need is Another Big Expansion?

I've read some concern that the tiles for my two current boxes may not be perfectly color matched (which would be a good reason to get the Anniversary edition), but I have no way of knowing until I open the Big Expansion. But I don't want to open it unless I'm sure I'm going to get the Anniversary Edition. Aye, the conundrum!

I could sell my current boxes on eBay or GeekBay, but I fear that they won't fetch very much since they'll be competing against the Anniversary Edition. Why would someone buy my two sets when they could get all 3 in one box?

So, what are the good reasons to buy the Anniversary Edition when I only need 1/3 of its contents?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main reason I plan to buy the Anniversary Edition is so that I'll know all of the tiles will match. It's up to you whether that's important enough to you to pay a higher cost. Obviously the main plan for most people is to buy the expansion and add it to your existing set; that's why they call it an "expansion".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mb
There's no good reason. Both expansions also fit in the base game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
Both expansions also fit in the base game box.

There are 25 ship mats, right? (Five each of I/II, III/IIIA, IA/IIA, IIB/IV-1, IIIB/IV-2.) Those alone would seem to fill up most of one box. I find it hard to believe you're going to get everything else in there too. Just the base game and the first expansion leave the original box pretty much full.

I'm assuming I'll either carry the 5th Anniversary box, or else I'll put all of the mats in one box and the rest of the components in another box. Or, I've also considered copying the ship mats onto lighter cardstock just so they are easier to carry around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Seriously, it sounds like you should just play the game more and worry about it less. You haven't even played the first expansion yet for chrissakes! Your use of the word 'need' feels more like the junkie-like lunge of the completist rather than anything rewarding or meaningful .

That's my counterargument anyway. It's your money. Burn at will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do not buy it, simple. only worth buying if you have base game max and sell that. pointless throwing money away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:
So, how can I justify the Anniversary Edition when all I need is Another Big Expansion?

It doesn't make any sense! Keep your current game + exp. and buy a new game instead. Simple!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geo makes an excellent point, with SO MANY great new games available at the moment....mice & mystics, tzolkin the mayan calendar, terra mystica, keyflower, zombicide, the great zimbabwe, merchant of venus, al rashid, myrmes.... if only i had more moneywhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bam! Look at the blunt answers to my blunt question! I appreciate them all, because it's exactly what I need to hear.

I do have the tendency to be a completist, but that tendency frustrates me and I am trying to minimize it. If the Anniversary Edition provided some 'value added' for a person like me that already owns the first two boxes, I would likely get it (and sell the first two.) But, since there doesn't appear to be any*, I'll just get ABE.

*The lack of value added is a good thing. I'm sure there would be an uproar if the Anniversary Edition came with something that made current owners feel like they were being forced to buy something they already had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:
Bam! Look at the blunt answers to my blunt question! I appreciate them all, because it's exactly what I need to hear.

I do have the tendency to be a completist, but that tendency frustrates me and I am trying to minimize it. If the Anniversary Edition provided some 'value added' for a person like me that already owns the first two boxes, I would likely get it (and sell the first two.) But, since there doesn't appear to be any*, I'll just get ABE.

*The lack of value added is a good thing. I'm sure there would be an uproar if the Anniversary Edition came with something that made current owners feel like they were being forced to buy something they already had.

Here's another blunt answer for you.

Don't buy the Anniversary edition or the new expansion.

*runs and ducks*

Looking at my game collection, you can see I'm pretty "completist". For example, I own everything in existence for Small World (OK, except for the metal turn marker), and I have all but the most recent Dominion expansion (I'll pick it up eventually).

Galaxy Trucker is in my top 10, and it's my GF's #1 favourite game. We usually play with most of the Big Expansion components. We store the game in one box with the expansion tiles/cards mixed in to the base game. We almost always use the new ship tiles, aliens and bonus event cards; we usually play with Rough Roads (with experienced players), the 5th player boards have seen some play, and we use the new ship classes about half the time; we haven't used the Evil Machinations yet). For example, we only take out expansion tiles/aliens when teaching new players... and if the new player is an experienced gamer (but hasn't played Galaxy Trucker), we'll sometimes leave them in.

I've watched Vlaada's interview about Another Big Expansion, looked at the new ship components and read the rule book. I don't think it adds much value to the game. For example, the new ship classes look more annoying than interesting; the new tiles dilute the existing ones (we already find that a good ship usually has mostly base game components with few or no expansion components; most of the first expansion tiles have limited use, with the best being shield boosters and stasis chambers); intruders make the game unnecessarily complex and clunky; and adding a 4th round will make the game unnecessarily long (it might be OK if you skip round 1, playing only round 2, 3 and 4, but I foresee runaway leader issues after someone has a strong round 3).

As nice as the Anniversary edition looks, and as much as the completist in me says "Buy all things Galaxy Trucker!", we don't think the new expansion improves the game. Sure, if somebody else owns it and wants to play with everything from both expansions, I wouldn't turn down the game. But I think Galaxy Trucker + The Big Expansion is "the sweet spot."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
As nice as the Anniversary edition looks, and as much as the completist in me says "Buy all things Galaxy Trucker!", we don't think the new expansion improves the game.

Zero plays might be insufficient to form an opinion.

I'm surprised you don't think the new components in the first expansion are useful. Shield Boosters, Reactor Furnaces, Stasis Chambers can all be excellent. Many of the combined components are at least as good as the base components. The cyan aliens can be pretty good too. The only components that tend to not get much use, in my experience, are the Cannon Booster and Engine Booster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
As nice as the Anniversary edition looks, and as much as the completist in me says "Buy all things Galaxy Trucker!", we don't think the new expansion improves the game.

I'm surprised you don't think the new components in the first expansion are useful. Shield Boosters, Reactor Furnaces, Stasis Chambers can all be excellent. Many of the combined components are at least as good as the base components. The cyan aliens can be pretty good too. The only components that tend to not get much use, in my experience, are the Cannon Booster and Engine Booster.

Having played the new expansion, I think the cannon and engine boosters will get more play in round IV. The tougher IV enemies and the limited availability of these components make them more useful. That said, I didn't actually use any of these in my one playthrough because we didn't mix in the big expansion, not wanting to have to separate all three sets at the end of the game.

As for Nano's other concerns, I did not find any of these to be the case. I really enjoyed the IIB ship (cylinder) but was extra surprised at how awesome the IIIB ship (holes) is. I didn't expect the IIIB to be anything special but it was actually my favorite one out of all of them. The missing spots make very odd shapes and it's probably not apparent until you actually try to build one.

I don't really know whether or not there are runaway leader issues, but I don't think so. There is so much money to be made in round IV. And besides, you win as long as you made at least one dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Elltrain wrote:
Both expansions also fit in the base game box.

There are 25 ship mats, right? (Five each of I/II, III/IIIA, IA/IIA, IIB/IV-1, IIIB/IV-2.) Those alone would seem to fill up most of one box. I find it hard to believe you're going to get everything else in there too. Just the base game and the first expansion leave the original box pretty much full.

The base game and the first expansion leaves the box half empty. I had the base game, the replacement tiles and the first expansion in one box without any problems.
The base game and both expansions are a very thight fit in one box as, as you mention, the ship mats take most of the room. However, close or not you can fit the whole GT so far into one box. Barely. There is maybe room for one more hourglass in the box before it bursts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:

It does fit, although barely. Definitely not enough room for anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:

I had the base game, the replacement tiles and the first expansion in one box without any problems.

Replacement tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

If you read the rest of my post, you'll see that I specifically mentioned that the shield boosters and stasis chambers are the best new tiles. In fact, they often result in a "woohoo" when somebody flips one. I occasionally use a reactor furnace (although they're often unnecessary) and a cyan alien (typically Merchant, but sometimes the one that gives a free battery per event), but other players generally avoid those tiles and do just as well.

Cannon boosters are usually avoided. Engine boosters can be a life-saver, but they're very situational and often a wasted tile slot. Luxury quarters might score you a few cents in later rounds, but often you'd rather have a real human habitat area for more population (besides, luxury quarters don't work with stasis chambers). Indestructible plating is OK for protecting a weak spot (e.g. sides of IIIa around the bottleneck) or putting at a 2d6=7 location, but a gun is usually better as it also increases your weapon rating. Besides, boosted shields make more efficient use of space than plating. And for most other "booster" type tiles (weapon booster, engine booster, reactor furnace, alien habitat), you would often be better off with more cargo storage or batteries.

The tiles included with Another Big Expansion further reduce your cargo carrying capacity (which is usually what wins the game). You now have armories and auto-defense to deal with intruders. Auto-defense might be worthwhile since connected pairs of them also add to your weapons rating, while armories can increase your population, but only in some situations. Cru-bots are similar to stasis chambers that cost a battery to give you a temporary population boost - probably good, but you still need real humans in most cases. Solar panels feel like another battery/reactor/booster and functions like one of the cyan aliens (free battery for a connected component), so nothing really new there. Thrusters appear to be inferior to (boosted) shields, and they're difficult to place (can't have anything next to two of their sides). I'd rather have weapons or engines than boosters at an exterior slot. Routers let you cheat with booster-type tiles, but they're a waste of space (not much better than the useless connector tiles from the base game); you'd usually be better off connecting your booster tiles the old-fashioned way, unless you can make a big network... and then you have to worry about things like Radiation Leak or Epidemic, so probably not worth the risk.

Support team kind of feels like another cyan alien (e.g. a unique power for each player), but is part of set-up, kind of like Rough Roads. It adds more complexity for what seems like minimal gain (in terms of overall game experience). And since they are unique for each player, it's important that all players be pretty experienced, as it's not as easy to help new players when they each have support teams with different abilities.

The biggest innovation in this expansion is intruders... and they add a LOT of new rules (not to mention two new tile types to deal with them). I'm sure after a few plays you'd be familiar with them, but between the rules and symbology on the intruder cards, it looks like a nightmare to teach.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this expansion will be hailed as the second coming of gaming. That will give me an excuse to give more of my money to Vlaada. But for a typical play of Galaxy Trucker with 1 or 2 players who aren't as experienced (which is common with our group and at the gaming clubs we attend), I'd rather stick with the base game and some elements of the first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
But for a typical play of Galaxy Trucker with 1 or 2 players who aren't as experienced (which is common with our group and at the gaming clubs we attend), I'd rather stick with the base game and some elements of the first expansion.

That seems like a weak basis for advising other people, whom you don't even know, that they shouldn't buy the expansion.

Virtually all expansions add more stuff to games they expand and are suitable for experienced players who know the base game well. That's the nature of an expansion. The expansion might therefore not be appropriate for you since you primarily play the game with less experienced players. But isn't it going too far to advise other people they shouldn't buy the expansion, because you usually play with less experienced players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper Steve wrote:

Replacement tiles?

1st ed of the base game didn't really match with the first big expansion. A replacementpack was sent yout upon request. I kept both sets of shiptokens as that way I could play with the base game alone without sorting tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been the happy recipient of the third expansion for my galaxy trucker game from the winner of a grand prize CGE games contest winner. I can fit all of the three games into one box with the exception of the rules books and have the lid close completely with a little giggling of the components in baggies and strategically placed within.

I don't know if the anniversary edition has a slightly larger box or thinner rules?? The second expansion box wasn't any larger than the original so I kept the original box with no insert.

Hope this is helpful in some way to this conversation.

Oh a few cards do seem a bit different but all my tiles match as far as i can see. I have the wrong card back symbol problem, but haven't asked about getting replacements yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mb
Chrisxny wrote:

I don't know if the anniversary edition has a slightly larger box or thinner rules?? The second expansion box wasn't any larger than the original so I kept the original box with no insert.

The box is huge. Three times the size of the base. It has a nice insert with spots for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually leaning towards getting the expansions at a discount when they hit the auctions and marketplace once people get their Anniversary editions and airlock their originals.

I'd rather have two smaller boxes than one huge one in any case when it comes to both shelf space and transport.

DaviddesJ wrote:
The main reason I plan to buy the Anniversary Edition is so that I'll know all of the tiles will match.

Hey David, are there tile match issues with the 2nd edition of the base game, or is that only a problem for those with the 1st edition and new expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Hey David, are there tile match issues with the 2nd edition of the base game, or is that only a problem for those with the 1st edition and new expansions?

Yes. There are shading differences between sets in the second edition, so I have seen sets where the base tiles match the expansion tiles quite well, and other sets where they are very distinguishable, all with the second edition tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

Yes. There are shading differences between sets in the second edition, so I have seen sets where the base tiles match the expansion tiles quite well, and other sets where they are very distinguishable, all with the second edition tiles.

Well that does change things for me. Like you, I do place a high value on component consistency so I'm definitely in for the Big Box edition as well. Thanks so much for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.