4 Posts

Neuroshima Hex!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to play SMART rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan chase
United States
flag msg tools
Having a helluva time with these guys. Their units are as weak as borgo but slower. Cant figure out a good strat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Smart is all about huge combos

Use the mobility provided by your base to put all the peaces together

Transporter on terror cards help keep key areas of the board your control

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Fox
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm a pretty new player to Neuroshima Hex! so I don't pretend to be any kind expert. I did write up a little guide to how the SMART machine work's for me. I think it's one of the most interesting and challenging armies to play. That said, onto my guide!

SMART
Strengths: Module combos and ranged attacks
Weaknesses: Fragile units dependence on modules.

Summary:

I call SMART the "SMART machine" for a reason. The parts themselves are decent but none of them are outstanding. The units suffer from low survivability and limited attack arcs. The modules are somewhat limited in that they are single direction only. As for action tiles, you get relatively few battle tiles and only one move tile, so controlling the flow of battle can be a challenge.

The key here is the HQ ability. The mobility ability of the base doesn't really make your army as dynamic as, say, the Outpost or the Hegemony(with the transporter) as you don't have the move tiles to back it up. The best way to use it is to assemble your cute little biorobots into big scary biorobots. Thanks to mobility you should rarely have modules that get stranded away for your units or have guns pointing the wrong direction.

Noteworthy Units:

-The Gauss Cannon! If you liked this guy with moloch you will love him with SMART. With Moloch the Cannon is often used from cover to punch through enemy defenses and hit the base. The SMART version can definitely be used this way. With it's improved initiative I prefer to combine it with the scout module and use it as a crowd control/area denial unit. This leaves them much more exposed but can really open up the board for you and allows your heavy hitters to go at the base.

-The Golem Mk. 3. Speaking of heavy hitters... This unit is identical to the Outpost's annihilator and is used much the same way. If you dedicate your scout modules to you Gauss cannons he will be the slowest ranged unit in your army. And that is just the way he likes it. let the others make an opening for him then turn him loose on the enemy HQ. Hook him up to scoper and officer modules for maximum effect.

-The Transporter. These guys are often overlooked but they win games. They are pretty much good at everything but dealing damage. Unlike most blockers they can react to new threats entering the battle field and place themselves where their toughness and armor will do the most good. They can also reserve spots for other units, especially useful when you get a lot of module draws early but have nothing to attach them to. Another great use I've found for them is to use them in conjunction with the push tile. Because of their main purpose as blockers they will often be next to your HQ. Suddenly moving them 2 hexes and pushing an opponent from an unexpected angle can be a nasty surprise.

-The Biodroid. A lot of people will say that the biodroid's regeneration is a mixed blessing as it denies you a draw on the round after he dies. There are relatively few times I wouldn't want to draw a high initiative ranged attacker so I don't see this as a big dilemma. I usually place him somewhere where he will do some damage, and soak up some damage and die. After battle the board will probably have opened up and I can put him where he will do the most good next battle. It's not just immortality it's teleportation! I generally don't waste modules on him.

-Honorable mention goes to: The Twister, for being a nasty surprise when your opponent forgets you do have some melee muscle. The Cyborg, for being a good general use unit. Terror, use immediately before battle for best results. The scoper, for being a force multiplier.

Offensive and defensive overview.

-Offense: Attacking with SMART is a pretty simple affair. Hook up a scoper and an officer to ranged unit and point it at the enemy base. Use your other units to clear a path or use the scoper to do it yourself. Ideally you would use a Golem Mk. 3 in this role because it has both low initiative and high damage. Using a gauss cannon hooked up to one or both scopers is bit more reliable, but deals much less damage. Getting all this set up can take some time but once it's in place you can cause some serious pain.

-Defense: You have excellent blockers in the form of the Transporters they aren't as tough as other dedicated blockers but their mobility allows them to adapt to changing situations. Using the crowd control potential of the Gauss Cannons and the high initiative of the Cyborgs and Biodroid can also shut down attacks before they even happen. Of course, you can always just throw the Biodroid in the line of fire, you won't be losing much. That said, SMART is all about making your parts work together, it's hard to defend everything and it doesn't take that much to make the machine fall apart. Nets will destroy you.

Match ups:

Borgo: Uphill fight. Borgo units don't cause very much damage but the wide attack arcs can allow them to take out multiple modules or units in one go. SMART has a couple fast units but they have a hard time keeping up with Borgo's high initiative. That said your pure damage dealing potential can allow you to win the day, even if the majority of your army gets turned to scrap metal.

The Hegemony: Even ground. The high melee damage of the hegemony makes the transports somewhat less impressive than they are against other opponents. You are in no lack of officer modules and high firepower can overwhelm them. Their tendency to put their HQ adjacent to yours can make them easy targets for a shooter sitting behind your base. Do beware of the nets.

Outpost: Interesting. The outpost has more mobility, and less protection than you. They are likely to control the pace of the game with their many battle tiles and move tiles. Your Transports are crucial here as they can shut down a lot of the enemies units. Using pushes also helps you maintain some control. Stay on top of the situation and be ready to respond to sudden attacks.

Molock: Slight Advantage. Both of you sit in your corners and build up armies and them periodically have massive battles. This is where your Gauss Cannons can really shine as HQ attack weapons. Moloch likes to turtle and turtles do not like it when their shell is made completely irrelevant. Shielded units can be a pain here, but if you are using Gauss Cannons to attack the base then you should have officers free to boost your defending force's firepower.

New York: Even ground. The Sharpshooters can ruin your day. The Rockets can ruin your day. The Pusher... you get it. You have pushes and Gauss Cannons. There are few things that New York hates more... other than nets and units with enough firepower to make their HQ ability irrelevant... oh wait. This can be an ugly fight. you do have initiative advantage for the most part. Take advantage of it to pick off the high priority targets.

Neojungle: Slight advantage. Another army that likes tight formations. You want to be playing those terror and battle tiles, you cannot let them gather strength. Your Gauss rifles are the bane of the motherland, and neo has never liked high initiative opponents. Use that. If you let them gather strength you are toast, though that is more of a universal truth than one specific to SMART.

Las Vegas: At Advantage. Vegas does not like being faced with a wall of modules. Even if Vegas does capture your units, they aren't that spectacular without the modules. Do not let them take your Gauss Cannons. That is the main concern. Your units trump theirs any day.

Steel Police: Beatable. The steel Police have a lot going for them. They have judges to reflect your firepower, they have nets and they have the executioner ruining your combos. Once you deal with those you are winning. It might be better to not focus on the combos against them and just focus on handling the threats while dealing opportunity damage to their HQ.

As I have said I do not claim to be any kind of expert. Please correct any mistakes I made or bad advice I gave and I will edit.

Let me know what you think!

Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blown Cover
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is great stuff. I've just started playing / caring about winning, and I'll be looking at your guides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.