Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played my first game of the old AH PanzerBlitz. Since I was new to the game my friend allowed my to pick out the scenario, so I flipped threw them trying to find one fairly balanced in unit counters especially armor. Finally selecting one I considered that although not balanced in tank strength somewhat favored me in Artillery. I don't remember the number of the scenario, however this was my unit contained;

Three companies of infantry,several counters of Mark IVs, two counters of Panthers,one Hummel, eight Halftrack counters,one Wespe,an 88 counter, several 75s counters, a rocket battery unit, an SP gun counter, some mortars, and a CP. In addition I received a bunch of obstacle and mine counters

The Russians had many T-34 counters, other assorted armored units, several battalions of infantry,trucks to haul them and some odds and sods.

The map board and defensive positions

Three boards laid out end to end. The first was Russian controlled and consisted of mostly woods,with some hills and slopes and a main east west road.The Russians set up first all stacked with armor together and the infantry loaded on trucks.

The second board was where I decided to set up contained two hills, the one nearest the Soviets was large and overlooked the road, this is where my first line of defense would be. I mined the road and placed most of the obstacles in a semi circle around the front crest of the hill mixing in a few mines. I placed all my infantry in the center slightly behind was the CP with mortars and a 75 in support. All my Artillery was stacked with a Halftrack.
My left flank was the more open of the flanks and I placed the Panthers and one of the Mark IVs. In the middle between the two hills I deployed the Wespe, Hummel , the 88 and a 75 on the right the remaining Mark IVs and the rocket battery. The right flank contained uneven ground broken up by streams and gullies, much less suitable for armor.

On the second smaller hill I placed the remaining obstacles and mined the road to the left of the hill. This would be a second line of defense if I was able to pull out and re-deploy.

My strategy

I thought the Soviets would move swiftly forward taking their losses in stride and attempt to get around the flanks using their superior numbers in armor to smash through my lines. If I could time it right delay as long as possible then pull out and reform behind the second line.

Victory Conditions

The Russians needed to enter the third map board with marginal victory conditions being 10 units.

The Germans needed to be even with the Russians in unit losses.

This Scenario contained ten rounds.

Turns 1-5
Ok, so much for my moving swiftly theory, my friend, a long time veteran of PanzerBlitz took his time and slowly moved forward skillfully using the terrain, especially the woods to cloak his units from my artillery fire. This was my first game with the line of sight rules this caught me off guard as I was counting on picking off some of his units with the long range indirect fire of the Hummel and Wespe. By turn five he was on the second board and as I as had thought, starting deploying his armor toward by left flank. At the same time his truck mounted infantry moved to my right flank and dis-mounted. I was only able to knock out a few counters using indirect fire as he approached my lines.During turns four and five the Wespe and Hummel crept up slowly to the front lines

Turns 6-10

I started to realize that by carefully working their way forward it was time consuming and maybe I had a chance to deny him victory conditions.

His T-34s came around my left like a right hook to the jaw the few Panthers over there were just not numerous enough to contain him. I started to take losses in tanks forcing me back closer to the slopes of the big hill. Meanwhile over on the right the Russian infantry moved along the base of the hill until they came in contact with the Mark IVs and launched a close assault which dispersed the armor units two turns in a row.In the center T-34s demonstrated in front of the slope of the big hill where my infantry w ambushed them using my own close assault, for the rest of the game my infantry hung in there on the hill.

The Russian tanks came around the bend on my left and were taking a heavy toll with their direct fire taking out multiple counters including the Hummel. During this time I was finally able to open up the enemy as he was in the open, I was destroying units but not nearly enough to make a difference.

On turn nine I starting to pull out however the artillery needed to limber up to the Halftracks making them sitting ducks for the T-34s. By the end of turn nine. My command was splintered with the Wespe, the 88 and the rocket battery along with their Halftracks on the second hill and the infantry, the CP and a Mark IV counter stuck on the big hill.

As turn ten began the Russians realized they would never make it to map board three. However I was shot to pieces and losses were about two and a half to one meaning I was not even close to my victory conditions. So in the end it was a draw however I felt pretty good about the game.

This game was somewhat tense and a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it am thinking about buying it, definitely into playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your session report makes me want to dig out my old copy and play a scenario....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Situation #6

Last time I played this as the Germans I managed a win. My opponent charged through my first line of defence, but got sidetracked trying to mop them up. When he realised his time was running out, he had to cross the open under the sights of my 88mm and paid dearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice win! That is the one I played..pretty cool game. I wanted to play the Kursk scenario right after but my buddy wanted to play something else
Thanks for posting it, was bugging me that I forgot which one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're enjoying the game. A word of warning - some of the Situations aren't very balanced. Your opponent may already know about these, but just in case....

Avoid 2, 3, 4 and 10 if at all possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. These scenarios with the long, thin mapboard arrangements were my favourites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice game John. This series has been and still is richly supported over the years. Come on over to Consimworld and join the series discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaarin7 wrote:
Nice game John. This series has been and still is richly supported over the years. Come on over to Consimworld and join the series discussion.

Thanks for the invite I just did

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.