$10.00
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For all you hasty folk:

http://store.boardgamegeek.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like the Treebeard expansion but I don't own any of the games for which BGG requires me to buy a promo in order to get this. I imagine I shall not be the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a promo like this ...is worth getting the other stuff to put in the G4GG auction.
That's what i am doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glynr wrote:
I would like the Treebeard expansion but I don't own any of the games for which BGG requires me to buy a promo in order to get this. I imagine I shall not be the only one.

As I mentioned in my forum post announcement about the new promos, it's kind of irrelevant whether you want the other two promos or not. The only reason we aren't directly selling Treebeard is because we're not allowed to due to licensing issues. However, if we were able to sell directly, it likely would have carried a $10 price tag.

So, the only difference with this method is that for your $10, you also get two other promos that may or may not be useful to you. You can always just give them to friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
msg tools
Ordered mine - I hope I did it right. Will there be any sort of confirmation that the Treebeard is in the package (like on an invoice), just feels weird ordering two things and not having the thing I actually want listed.

Also - on shipping, it was only giving me one option and I am not in the USA...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

As I mentioned in my forum post announcement about the new promos, it's kind of irrelevant whether you want the other two promos or not.

It's still a bummer that we can't pick from ALL the $5 promos, so that there's more of a chance of getting one for the games we do actually own.

But, I guess you guys are a business and it makes business sense to force people to buy the low-sellers, even it is just "buying".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own any of the games. But I ordered the Wings of War and Yggdrasil promos just to get Treebeard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
It's still a bummer that we can't pick from ALL the $5 promos, so that there's more of a chance of getting one for the games we do actually own.

Yeah, I agree here. This is my first time trying to buy from the Geek Store. I guess I misunderstood the store. My understanding was that I would be able to buy Lords of Middle Earth from the Store and get Treebeard along with it. Now I find out that I have to buy two other items for games I don't even own, and neither of those two items is Lords of Middle Earth. If it had been Dominion cards or 7 Wonders or something else to choose from, that would have been great. I hope LoME isn't sold out yet at CSI or T&T.

Hello Treebeard.
Hello two other game promos.
Hello eBay.
Goodbye two other game promos.
Goodbye BoardGameGeek Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zheng Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Porkins_ wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Yeah, I agree here. This is my first time trying to buy from the Geek Store. I guess I misunderstood the store. My understanding was that I would be able to buy Lords of Middle Earth from the Store and get Treebeard along with it. Now I find out that I have to buy two other items for games I don't even own, and neither of those two items is Lords of Middle Earth. If it had been Dominion cards or 7 Wonders or something else to choose from, that would have been great. I hope LoME isn't sold out yet at CSI or T&T.

Hello Treebeard.
Hello two other game promos.
Hello eBay.
Goodbye two other game promos.
Goodbye BoardGameGeek Store.

The BGG store have always been selling promo for a reasonable price. They have stated without the restriction they would have sold the promo for $10 still. Now you get 2 free promos to go with your treebeard purchase. Yes it might not have been what you want but it is free. If BGG really wants to nickel and dime, they could basically just charge you $10 bucks for shipping and "give" you the treebeard promo for free. That way they don't even have to send out 2 additional promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like JohnnyDollar said, "It's still a bummer."

I just think it would have been much more awesome to get promos I actually wanted.

I'm not complaining about the price; I'm still going to get the Treebeard...as a customer of BGG Store though, I could have been happier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quit grousing! QED it's not a bummer. You are getting the other two for free! There is no serving some people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
Quit grousing! QED it's not a bummer. You are getting the other two for free! There is no serving some people...

Marketing and businesses are all about psychology. As I mentioned in another thread, force on customers something they don't need or can't use, especially phrasing it that they have to "buy" those to get a perk they DO want, and they will grumble.

However, present this as:
Buy Treebeard for $10. AND, as a special Christmas bonus, if you want you can choose up to 2 from the following promos, for FREE!
and there would have been far less complaints.

Granted, they can't use that wording due to the licensing issues, but it's really not that surprising that some people are unhappy if you think about it from a marketing and psychology perspective. However rationally it's laid out as far as the end result being the same thing, the bottom line is that human behavior, while often predictable, is not rational...we are not a species of Spocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

However, present this as:
Buy Treebeard for $10. AND, as a special Christmas bonus, if you want you can choose up to 2 from the following promos, for FREE!
and there would have been far less complaints.

Except from Middle-earth Enterprises and their miniature games licensees... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolly Duckfield

Plattsburgh
New York
msg tools
Happily placed my order about 30 seconds ago! I'm disappointed to find out it isn't painted. For some reason I thought it would be, but it must have just been an idea that was floating around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I should have titled this thread, In the country of Fangorn, where the rants are long...

RickDintheAM wrote:
I'm disappointed to find out it isn't painted. For some reason I thought it would be, but it must have just been an idea that was floating around.

@Rolly, final word from Roberto is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of the "unlucky" people who doesn't own any of the games appearing in the promo. I just ordered Treebeard with the Wings of War & Dungeon Lords expansions, so for about 8€ I will get:

- A Treebeard mini (yay!)
- A Christmas present for my WoW ultra-fan friend
- A funny sticker sheet to play with my 3yo girl

Not a bad deal, I'd say. And I couldn't care less about the wording, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:

I should have titled this thread, In the country of Fangorn, where the rants are long...

Sorry everybody, I didn't mean to whine. I was just a bit nonplussed by the method of obtaining Treebeard, and the fact that I was expecting to order a LoME in order to get him. I've happily ordered my Treebeard for $10 and some other stuff that I can't use will be coming along with him. It would be even better if the free bonuses were things that I could use, but I'm happy to have Treebeard.

EDIT: Oh, and I indicated to my wife that I'd like LoME for Christmas, so hopefully she orders that soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.