Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akolotu Moeloa
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still hold out the hope that more games will be ported to Android. I have a Transformer Infinity that could use more board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TonganJedi wrote:
I still hold out the hope that more games will be ported to Android. I have a Transformer Infinity that could use more board games.

I would love someone to build a system that allowed the games to be played from platform to platform. (Or rather between platforms.) This would allow Android and Windows Metro apps to all have access to a large player base and help support a healthy ecosystem. Why should one group or another be relegated to a mobile ghetto when it's unnecessary?

How tough can it be? after all we all get the same freak'n twitter messages.

Or is there a working version of this out there already and I just don't know it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To my knowledge, all Zynga games are cross platform between Android and iOS. Although my experience is limited to Words with Friends, Hanging with Friends and Scramble with Friends. How they can do it and no one else can seem to figure it out, I have no idea.

My disappointment in learning Carcassonne was not compatible between platforms was incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of games on iOS, but I never really seem to dedicate much time to playing them, despite thinking that I would.

Ticket to Ride seems the one I play most. And after that more dedicated iOS games - just the little perpetual motion, racing and flicking style games.

Good discussion on the iOS aspects of gaming though - I like the bit about etiquette, after trying to play many games of multiplayer Neuroshima Hex on iOS I've given up because of the high proportion of times that notifications fail or people resign from the game.

Would have liked to hear a little more on your opinion of how Earth Reborn plays Erik!

Cheers,
Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed the discussion on ios and agreed with almost all of the comments. Ra and Caylus are horrible for async and I really am not interested in playing against AI.

A couple of tips:

1) Le Havre is really good 4 player, playing with one other real player and two AI players. The 2-player game just isn't that fun to me and mixing AI with real players keeps the game moving.

2) Lost Cities is a really good implementation using game center and perfect for async as well. Not the deepest of games, but it goes really quick and you can have several games going at once with no problem. Graphics, interface and music are all top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Harvey
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
What is the 40$ computer game that is talked about in the show? Something like Arnmeous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That game is Artemis: http://www.artemis.eochu.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Harvey
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Whizkid wrote:
That game is Artemis: http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

Cool thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the review segment I thought Donald said "Testified". What a strange name for a board game!

Then Eric straightened me out by saying "Test of Fire".

Got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a fantastic episode, especially the segment on iOS games. As someone who doesn't have many regularly meeting groups, I turn to iOS often for my fix. I should probably turn my favorites into a GeekList at some point, but for now I'd just like to piggyback on what was covered and add a couple of recommendations for my fellow listeners.

The best game, I feel, is Ascension. The asynchronous mechanic works wonderfully and I had never seen (much less played) the physical version of this game until about six months after I became addicted to the iOS version. Because of that, playing the physical version was a piece of cake. I know it's a card game, but I am just so impressed with the game itself and the app that it holds my #1 spot.

Other favorites are:

Smallworld, which is a little smaller (haha) than the physical board, but works really great as a pass and play game with two players. The graphics are awesome and gameplay is carried over perfectly.

Carcassonne. Everything discussed is right, it's one of the absolute best.

Ticket to Ride. Although the multiplayer isn't fantastic. It's a bit slow-going when playing asynschronous and the first 10 turns or so end up just being card draws. Also, I dislike the Game Center interaction for notifications because it takes extra clicks and time to get into the game to play your turn, and this sequence is required every time you go in to play a new turn. In fact, that's my biggest gripe overall with all iOS games, is that there needs to be a quicker sequence for getting you in to play a turn.

Lost Cities is perfect for a quick filler play, just as it is in real life. Great "port" of the real life game.

Honorable mentions go to Elder Sign, still trying to win it for the first time, and Bang, fun but not as good without face to face contact.

I also have played the full version of Colony for many months now and love it. It is a stiff challenge and one of the better two-player games I've enjoyed. Highly recommend it checking it out.

Thanks for having this segment. It was a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald doesn't know there's a iOS Board Games blog?

You wound me, sir.

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manymoodys wrote:
Really enjoyed the discussion on ios and agreed with almost all of the comments. Ra and Caylus are horrible for async and I really am not interested in playing against AI.

A couple of tips:

1) Le Havre is really good 4 player, playing with one other real player and two AI players. The 2-player game just isn't that fun to me and mixing AI with real players keeps the game moving.

2) Lost Cities is a really good implementation using game center and perfect for async as well. Not the deepest of games, but it goes really quick and you can have several games going at once with no problem. Graphics, interface and music are all top notch.

Thanks for the feedback. Shortly after we recorded this, OpenFeint announced that the service is discontinuing on Dec 14.

I've played Tigris & Euphrates with an AI and one other person, and that works well too. I think maybe I've played Le Havre that way too, but mostly played 3-player. I played one Le Havre with 4, but it didn't work out too well. I've tried 5 once, but the problem there is that too few people are looking for that game, so the game usually cancels. What's odd is that the game continues to match even after someone who already matched quits, then the game cancels at the last minute.

I haven't played Lost Cities--I will give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChiefAaron wrote:
This was a fantastic episode, especially the segment on iOS games...

The best game, I feel, is Ascension. The asynchronous mechanic works wonderfully and I had never seen (much less played) the physical version of this game until about six months after I became addicted to the iOS version. Because of that, playing the physical version was a piece of cake. I know it's a card game, but I am just so impressed with the game itself and the app that it holds my #1 spot.

Other favorites are:

Smallworld, which is a little smaller (haha) than the physical board, but works really great as a pass and play game with two players. The graphics are awesome and gameplay is carried over perfectly.

Carcassonne. Everything discussed is right, it's one of the absolute best.

Ticket to Ride. Although the multiplayer isn't fantastic. It's a bit slow-going when playing asynschronous and the first 10 turns or so end up just being card draws. Also, I dislike the Game Center interaction for notifications because it takes extra clicks and time to get into the game to play your turn, and this sequence is required every time you go in to play a new turn. In fact, that's my biggest gripe overall with all iOS games, is that there needs to be a quicker sequence for getting you in to play a turn.

Thanks for the feedback--glad to know you enjoyed it.

I've played Ascension, though never asynchronously, and I like it OK, but I've never thought it's awesome. One thing to point out is that timed multiplayer is available for iOS 4, just not asynch.

I was disappointed in Smallworld, particularly that they never expanded it. I like the game in person, and enjoy that far more than the iPad version, probably because I seem to be really bad.

Ticket to Ride--More than any other, this one seems to attract players who want to play in realtime, so a lot of my games finish over a couple of sessions. The card draw phenomenon comes up quite a bit playing on Steam/Days of Wonder as well. I also dislike the extra clicks to get into the game each time. My other gripe is that if I auto-match to a "2-3" player game it will always match on a 2, when I'd like 3 (especially for Switzerland).

I like Bang too, and it can be fun sometimes to throw those little accusation graphics at each other, but I think it suffers for not having some form of chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Dewey
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Neumannium wrote:
Donald doesn't know there's a iOS Board Games blog?

You wound me, sir.

cry

I know about it and read it regularly. To prove it:

How do you feel about apps priced at $14.99? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Neumann
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In life you have to do a lot of things you don't f*cking want to do. Many times, that's what the f*ck life is... one vile f*cking task after another.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayrk wrote:

I know about it and read it regularly. To prove it:

How do you feel about apps priced at $14.99? devil

I always knew I could trust someone with a Dark Tower avatar.

For the record, I have no issues with apps costing $14.99. Some other folks, however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.