Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just saw this item on the hotness list, and if it is really a mini-expansion, then I am a little angry. Promos are ok for games like Dominion, or Agricola, or whatever - but not for a grand strategy game like WotR.

Do not like.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Promos are ok for games like Dominion, or Agricola, or whatever - but not for a grand strategy game like WotR.

Why do you care? We can't read your mind. If you are going to start a thread about how much you dislike something, it would be more interesting if you at least explain why you dislike it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you posting and thumbing yourself directly after or what?

Whatever - I thought it is clear what I mean: Games like WotR or Hannibal or other "grand strategy" games (grand meaning they take long and there's a lot to consider and many strategies to try) should be the same for all. I do not like when some people play with a promo that noone else can get - a slight change can have impact on balance, and at least changes strategies.

Of course, that's the same for Dominion and Co, but as those games are not that epic, I don't care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Are you posting and thumbing yourself directly after or what?

No. You can click on the number next to the green thumb to see who actually thumbed the post. It's not surprising that there are people who would thumb it, since they probably think the same thing that I do.

Quote:
Whatever - I thought it is clear what I mean: Games like WotR or Hannibal or other "grand strategy" games (grand meaning they take long and there's a lot to consider and many strategies to try) should be the same for all.

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
I do not like when some people play with a promo that noone else can get - a slight change can have impact on balance, and at least changes strategies.

How do you figure that no one else can get this mini-expansion? It's not some stupid con-exclusive item, it's available in the GeekStore right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is available, good point, and good thing from BGG. But it seems that it cannot be sold directly, so I still blaim the publisher. I just do not see the point of balancing this game extremely in a 2nd edition, and then publishing little promos (which I assume are not playtested as much as the basic game).

Anyway, just my opinion (and maybe the one of a few others). Let me face it: I hate promos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one is forcing you or anyone else to use Treebeard in their games. Just like no one is forcing you to do any research or fact-checking before you complain about the existing of a Treebeard mini-expansion for WoTR.

It's my experience that people who love WoTR would probably enjoy having a little extra to toss in from time to time. Or to add permanently to the game, if they so choose. WoTR fanatics probably play the game a lot, and a little something to mix it up is probably well-appreciated.

Addons and promos are fine things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As ridiculous as the OP's complaint is, add-ons and promos are only ok if they're available to everyone. Treebeard is but we've seen multiple promos only available to people who can afford the time and money to travel to cons and, quite frankly,that shit sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Yes, it is available, good point, and good thing from BGG. But it seems that it cannot be sold directly, so I still blaim the publisher. I just do not see the point of balancing this game extremely in a 2nd edition, and then publishing little promos (which I assume are not playtested as much as the basic game).

Anyway, just my opinion (and maybe the one of a few others). Let me face it: I hate promos

Yak yak yak... WHAT EVER! do your research!,

it has nothing to do with the publisher and being a hard to get promo.
Its for sale in the Geek Store and as for why it cant be directly sold individually, ask Middle Earth Enterprises who hold the license for LOTR. They are the ones who told ares how to distribute it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Schweitzer
Brazil
Americana
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm fine with promos as long as they're generally available for the public, as is the case (and I'm hoping they produced enough supplies), it annoys me the lack of word from the designer about the design process and strategic implications of Treebeard (contrary to their open communication about the 2nd ed balance changes and LoME design). If the game was balanced enough before it, why add a new tool for the Free Peoples only? Will we see any article about it on Ares website?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hcbftw wrote:
If the game was balanced enough before it, why add a new tool for the Free Peoples only?

Because it's damned cool, which as you probably know, is one of the most important goals of proper game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
hcbftw wrote:
If the game was balanced enough before it, why add a new tool for the Free Peoples only?

Because it's damned cool, which as you probably know, is one of the most important goals of proper game design.

:-)

Indeed!

And there's not a lot to write about the design of one Character.

The way Treebeard is designed as it is, is that's slightly annoying (and not completely realistic, story-wise) to have a Free Peopl Character sitting in Fangorn to keep the menace of the Ents a possibility.

Treebeard provides the opportunity to go around this limitation at a reasonable cost for the Free Peoples player.

And of course, we tried to devise additional ways to make him useful once he's in the game, to avoid that he became a stationary "token", hence we devised his "roaming" capabilities.

But that was not complicated as designing a full expansion, so there's much less to tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Promos are completely optional. Getting upset over them is dumb, especially when it's available at the geek store. The thing that kind of sucks is that it's 10$. I might bite anyway because: Treebeard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny world So many dumb and ridiculous people in here, calling other opinions dumb and ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm out... Have fun, with or without promos cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Funny world So many dumb and ridiculous people in here, calling other opinions dumb and ridiculous.

But... isn't that kinda sorta exactly what you did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kweku
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavo wrote:
Hi,

I just saw this item on the hotness list, and if it is really a mini-expansion, then I am a little angry. Promos are ok for games like Dominion, or Agricola, or whatever - but not for a grand strategy game like WotR.

Do not like.

Cheers.

Agreed. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Zachary
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this add-on and we've been playing with it in every game now. Get it while you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.