3 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Yet Another Attempt to Balance the Game - comments please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Watney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have recently returned to Acres, introducing it to a new but skilled player. In the second and third games, as the British he beat me easily, advancing via Nova Scotia and up the St Lawrence in the usual way. But he didn't go for an ultra-thin deck. Rather he focussed on maximising his income with repeated five- and six-coin Merchants and then building a massive army that the French just couldn't match. That army advanced ponderously but unstoppably on Quebec, and too early in the game for a French expansion strategy to threaten an alternative victory. Our conclusion was that the British income is too high relative to the French.

I am proposing that in future we play with the two tweaks described in this forum (Limited Governor and Shuffle Schedule) plus a third one to reduce the frequency of large-coin Merchants.

Incidentally, my second edition game includes two British Ships but the card manifest says there should only be one. Which is correct?

Please give me your opinions.

Limited Governor
(purpose: make ultra-thin decks less achievable)

The Governor may only be used to remove an at-start location (darker border) if the location has been lost to raid or settlement.

Shuffle Schedule
(purpose: discourage use of ultra-thin decks by creating a disadvantage to every shuffle)

Shuffling the discard pile is still triggered when there is no card in the draw pile to draw, but now the actual shuffling is delayed until the very end of the turn, after a player would have drawn from the new pile.

Merchant Limitation
(purpose: make the drafting of a very large army slower to achieve and therefore less attractive)

The Merchant option can now only be performed using one of the full-frame Ship cards (two British, one French) drafted at a cost of 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Watney
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Does anyone know if the Shuffle Schedule can be used with Yacuta? I have a suspicion that that system may shuffle and deal without being asked.

If it can't be used on-line, please suggest an alternative tweak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trader Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
Let's please call the "shuffle schedule" fix what it is: Mantuanwar's fix. He has a firm grasp of the history of the war the game is simulating, and has several changes that I feel improve the theme and flow of the game, but we at least have to give him credit for the shuffle schedule. I trolled these forums religiously and tested many fixes, and his is the most revolutionary, most effective, simplest, AND the most historically thematic, as there is no historical parallel to the thin-deck strategy. I suggest we call it the Mantuanwar Shuffle Schedule .

Nice ring to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.