A A
msg tools
Hi,

I've played this scenario solo several times and haven't come close to beating it; I can defeat King Caelen, but aren't defeating enough of the monsters.

I've been using several cursed daggers, partly to give me a good start and partly to take down King Caelen, and a mixture of Whetmage and Honorborn Gallant (sp?). This doesn't seem to give me a fast enough start though (I think it should do, but those incarnates keep slipping past) and more imortantly I am having to make too many return trips to the village because I can't defeat any of the available monsters.

Have you beaten it solo and if so how?

Thanks for the help,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
I would suggest using a combination of Cursed Daggers and Profaned heroes.

Note that Curses are also Diseases; the Cursed Daggers can draw Curses into your deck while contributing Physical Attack, and the Profaned Curate and Profaned Patriarch then destroy the Curses (as they are Diseases) to increase their Magic Attack.

Note also that the Curate and Patriarch have Repeat Dungeon abilities; on a single turn one of them can destroy several Diseases, and gain Magic Attack +3 for each Disease destroyed!

I would suggest using 2 Cursed Daggers and 2 or 3 Profaned. Be careful about having a deck clogged with Curses, Monsters, and Basic cards; keep your deck reasonably thin. Get the Profaned leveled up early.

Hope this works for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
Thanks for the answer.

I do have a couple of reservations about your suggestion:

The Profaned puts a curse into your discard pile, so you can't use it immediately to power their magic attack...
Which means you do need to clog your hand up with curses to use it, and due to this I found it difficult to get the hand-consistency.

I'll give it a try though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
As an update, I had time to try this scenario solo again today. I took notes, and I would like to share the experience.

I played on the Dungeon board (as specified), and I did not use Familiars or Avatars.

In my first two turns I went to the Village and got a Cursed Dagger and a Profaned Acolyte. In my third turn I Rested, thereby destroying a Regular.

In my fourth turn, I went to the Dungeon with several Regulars and the Cursed Dagger. The Dagger brought 3 Curses into my deck, and I received 3XP for defeating a Monster. In my fifth turn, I went to the Village (with only 3 Gold - I didn't buy anything) and leveled up the Profaned from an Acolyte to a Curate.

Over the entire game I Rested twice, Prepared once, went to the Village 11 times, and went to the Dungeon 16 times (defeating Monsters 14 times).

Over the entire game I bought 6 cards: 2 Cursed Daggers, a Profaned Acolyte, a Tincture of Victims, a Royal Summons (mid game), and a Whetmage Honer (late game - just wanted another Hero in my deck).
I also leveled up a Regular into a Profaned Acolyte and 4 other Regulars into Honormain Gallants.

Due to Resting, leveling, and observing effects that destroy cards (ex. Minion of War, Charred Bruin), all but one Basic card (a Longspear) left my deck throughout the game (thus allowing stronger cards to appear more frequently).

At any time I had approximately 6 Curses in my deck. The number of Curses rose most dramatically at 3 points: 1) the first time I defeated a Monster, 2) when I defeated a War Incarnate (mid game), and 3) in the second-to-last turn. With the Profaned and Honormain heroes, the Curses were leaving my deck as fast as they were entering my deck. I actually found the potential for clogging from the Monsters to be more of a concern.

A note about the Tincture of Victims - it was crucial in my defeat of the War Incarnate (due to its ability to change Magic Attack into Physical Attack), but at other times I appreciated the additional Physical Attack and the Curse that it provided.

In the end, King Caelan went to the Village Score Pile to end the game, but I won with a score of 59 to 51. My deck at that time contained a Royal Summons, a Tincture of Victims, a Longspear, 2 Cursed Daggers, a Profaned Patriarch, a Profaned Curate, an Honormain Paladin, an Honormain Defender, 2 Honormain Gallants, 8 Curses (5 of which were gained in the second-to-last turn), 4 Djinnbound, 4 Burnmarked, and 5 Incarnates. 5 Monsters were left in the Dungeon (1 Djinnbound, 2 Burnmarked, and 2 Incarnates).

I think I would ammend my suggestion to say get 2 Cursed Daggers, a Tincture of Victims, and at least 4 Heroes between Profaned and Honormain. Also, keep the Curses flowing, with about 6 Curses in your deck at a time.

If nothing else, my story reveals that victory is possible in this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
msg tools
That's fantastic, thanks for the specific example.

I'll give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.