Subject: Ways to remember who shot first in a round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems every time I play crokinole the people playing have a hard time remembering who shot first in a round so that the first shot can rotate on the next round.

I have taken to using a dealer button from my poker chip set and placing it in front of the person that shot first, then passing it as the game progresses. I have also considered making a customized coined to use for this purpose as well. I was wondering if anyone else had come up with cleverer ways to remember this or rules variations that don't require remembering.

I would be happy to hear any thoughts people have. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can remember who shot last, they would be to the right of whomever shot first. So the next start player is to that person's left. But that may be a bit convoluted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very true, and I have used that before. Our group tends to not pay close enough attention when we are adding up points etc to remember though. By the way this is usually not a problem at all. 9 times out of 10 we remember and have no issue, I was just wondering if people had any solutions. So thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, whoever is across from the last shot will be first shot of the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
mb Han shot first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very simple:

1. Each player receives 12 Cheetos® (or 6 if playing partners). When they take the first shot, they are required to eat a Cheeto®. Note that this move is not optional.

2. At the end of the round and scoring, determine which players tie for the least amount of Cheetos®. These players must inspect the Cheetos® of the player to their right.

3. If the player to the right of one of the players with the least amount of Cheetos® also has the same amount of Cheetos® in their "stash", continue to survey players in a clockwise fashion until the neighbour of one of the indicated players has one more Cheeto® than their neighbour to the left. This is the player who will make the first shot of the next round.

4. Wipe off your damn Cheeto® fingers you ignorant prunes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Dickinson
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard! You should probably wash your hands.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you consume as much alcohol as I do when playing Crokinole, it won't matter even if you have a "dealer" chip. If I was playing for keeps, I'd hire a sober ref to write it down for us. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkelso40 wrote:
It seems every time I play crokinole the people playing have a hard time remembering who shot first in a round so that the first shot can rotate on the next round.

I have taken to using a dealer button from my poker chip set and placing it in front of the person that shot first, then passing it as the game progresses. I have also considered making a customized coined to use for this purpose as well. I was wondering if anyone else had come up with cleverer ways to remember this or rules variations that don't require remembering.

Yeah -- seems like a simple thing but we always forget too!

BTW, welcome to BBG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We use the cloth bag we store the pieces in, and we toss it to the next first player after wel score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically play 2 players, 10 rounds, and only keep score as a differential (so "10" means I'm ahead by 10, "-30" means I'm losing by 30).

At the very beginning of the game, I put a dot on every other line of the paper I'm keeping score of. Those dots are the rounds I shoot first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use curling rules: Whoever scored in the previous round shoots first (e.g. the other player gets "the hammer," which is generally an advantage). If no one scored in the previous round, then look at the round before that. For some reason I thought this was an official rule, but apparently it is not. I kind of like the curling rule, though, as it adds additional strategy: Sometimes you'd rather give up 5 points (or scratch) so you can have the hammer next round, rather than score 5-10 points this round.

As an aside, we must have really good memories because we alternate starting player from match to match and don't seem to have any trouble remembering who shot first in the previous match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
bkelso40 wrote:

Yeah -- seems like a simple thing but we always forget too!

BTW, welcome to BBG!

Thanks! I have always been into games (hosted a game night all through grad school) but honestly didn't know about this site until a month or so ago when I was researching a crokinole board and saw lots of threads. They were extremely helpful so I thought I would join to learn more new games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Kelso
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a bit of thinking and research (because I am a nerd and that's what I do). I found a website that allows you to design a wooden coin and creates it. Here is what I designed.

Front

Back

The pics aren't great, but you get the idea. It didn't turn out exactly perfect but I am happy with it as I think it's cool and unique. It was also inexpensive, about 15 bucks for the whole process. Is it silly, of course, but it's not the silliest thing I have ever spent $15 on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find it easier to remember who shot last rather than who shot first. Whichever team shot last will start the next round. In a 2 player game if I shot last, then I shoot first. In a 4 player game, if I shot last my teammate shoots first. Either way, the team that shot last will shoot first next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.