$10.00
Final Descent
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools

The Idea
Just recently got into -> Descent: Journey in the Dark (2nd) and my gaming group decided we would like to make our own board game. After playing Descent we thought it would be great to create a custom campaign along with new custom aspects. So together the project began.

The game will consist of just about custom everything for a fully modified descent campaign existing in the Final Fantasy universe. At first some may say cliche, but the game will not feature heroes from across the universe but just races, classes, and monsters. We thought this would be helpful to create content and while taking certain mechanics from the board game itself.

After we finish most of the mechanics/quests, we will release an alpha quests or two at a time to be playtested, as long as releasing races and classes as we finish and fine tune them. We will be leaning highly on the community of here and boardgamegeek to help the project.

Once finally completed it will be released for free in a giant pack a long with all of the content so you can print out and play for yourselves.

The Work List αlpha Not in Order

Races (Heroes)
Classes
Locations/Map
Story/Quests
Items
Mechanics/Conditions

Help we need!

Artists
Story/Lore Writers
Playtesters

Links!
Board Game Designer Forums ~ http://www.bgdf.com/node/7463
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny; I've toyed with the idea of introducing the Final Fantasy VII cast as custom Descent 2e heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
my projects: The Silken Threads Descent Campaign; Dawn of Civilization Mod
mbmbmbmbmb

Another dedicated fan who wants to create a custom campaign? Let me give you a hint and saying the following: It is a damn massive load of work. And you will need alot stuff to make it work:

Hero-Template
Item-Template
Class-Card-Template
Overlord-Card-Template
Monster-Template
Lieutenant-Template
Relics-Template
Mapping Programm or Tileset
Overland Map
Condition-Template
Token-Template

for the booklet:
Background-Templates
Banner-Templates
Lore-frame-Templates
the correct fonts
Cover art
Map art

Artists to create Pictures or you have to do a damn much Copyrighting
and don't forget Copyrighting - since you have Descent 2nd ed content in a ff universe (massive copyrights)

I am sitting on my campaign since over 2 months and it is so much damn work.

Not to mention playtesting custom content and new classes, heroes, items, etc.

Some templates Feonix has online, some he has in private, some i made myself (mostly for the booklet) but also a few are still missing. If you need some tell me - maybe I can help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
That's funny; I've toyed with the idea of introducing the Final Fantasy VII cast as custom Descent 2e heroes.

Combining the two 'RPG' loves of my life

You'd have to work materia in there somehow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonny18 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Combining the two 'RPG' loves of my life :D

You'd have to work materia in there somehow...

I still remember the first time I saw FF7; walking past the video game store in our mall. There was a demo running - a type of trailer of the game. I was enthralled with it.

To this day, I'll have some passing moment where I wish they would re-release the game with update graphics on some current gaming system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Final Descent
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Yeah when we first had the idea it was to create an original boardgame, but that itself was a massive amount of work. We plan on working on it in our spare time so it definitely will take time.

Also, Thanks for that big list, it reminded me of a few things I almost forgot about. I'm pretty efficient in photoshop so I have been cutting out most of the stuff on my own, and possibly will be making fresh card templates for some things.

A question about copyright, if anyone knows; Since we are releasing all of it for free, as a creative project, would copyrighting even matter? Just trying to figure it out

Edit: After reading about copyrighting on DAs page: [http://about.deviantart.com/policy/copyright/] it seems we cannot use anything from another artist, even if its released for free and under the terms in which we are. (Aka, random pictures from final fantasy games) How are we even able to edit and create custom content from any game then? This is so confusing! cry

I've been using some of Foenix's stuff, and would be happy to post the cut outs that I create as well. I would love to get my hands on the templates that you have as well has his hidden stuff if possible. Would deffinately credit you guys in creation of FD.

Shoot me an email - bradfms@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
FDRonin wrote:
A question about copyright, if anyone knows; Since we are releasing all of it for free, would copyrighting even matter? It would be different if we were getting some kind of profit. Its the same as if someone drew a picture of cloud and uploaded it to the internet to show people, they can't be sued, so why would it be different in this situation? Just trying to figure it out

Either company could issue a cease and desist if they chose to, regardless of whether you're making money off of it or not. The chances that will happen are low, but it's still a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Final Descent
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I am thinking we will take our chances and just keep going with it. I have seen many mods for other board games who have taken content from many sources. devil

But also I will be seeking artists to create new stuff for us, and working with artists/asking permission to use art from various DA users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FDRonin wrote:

Send - If you need any other help contact me as soon my campaign is done with all stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make the character cards with the text/stat's and have people source out their own art or provide links for it. (Just to appease your concious or the concious of others)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Final Descent
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:
FDRonin wrote:

Send - If you need any other help contact me as soon my campaign is done with all stuff

Thanks good sir, I will work on the 2 requests you had as soon as I get some free time. Godspeed with your project and I'd love to have you a part of mine as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morthai Saichor
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how are you proceeding?
how are the templates going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Final Descent
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
The motherboard died on my main computer, so right now we are at a standstill until I can get another one. Still working on ideas and stuff outside of the design part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FDRonin wrote:
The motherboard died on my main computer, so right now we are at a standstill until I can get another one. Still working on ideas and stuff outside of the design part.

That's a shame... I just found this thread and wanted to say, that I'm really looking forward to this! Wish you all the best with all the work. Unfortunatly I'm no good Artist or writer, otherwise I would offer my help...

But I will have a look on this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.