Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game of Thunderstone Advance the other night (sadly, I don't get to play TS often), and I set it up with mostly Root of Corruption cards.

I ended up drafting a deck which used Honormains, Cursed Daggers, Debased Wizards, and Hedge Witches. In other words, I was taking on lots of curses to power myself up, and then I was getting rid of those curses efficiently (and, with higher level Honormains, profitably!).

I enjoyed that a lot. Thunderstone isn't a game which, traditionally, has had a lot of highly synergistic cards. This set has a theme of taking on curses voluntarily for power, and it has the cards to back that theme up, and I like it.

I've been playing Thunderstone since it first came out, and there has only been one deck I've ever actually "remembered". That was while playing Epic Thunderstone, and I drafted a deck without heroes that relied on mercenaries and village mobs to crazy good effect. I think I've not got a second deck that will live in my memory.

Kudos to AEG. I'd like to see future expansions keep up this whole idea of mechanical themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good to hear. I really need to play TS Advance more, but it never seems to hit the table. For me, it's partly due to the horrible yellowish cards from this expansion. I guess I shoul stop letting the aesthetics stop me from playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, my initial thinking on Thunderstone Advance was that I would only by the first expansion and the base game, since that's really all that would fit in the box (sleeved, of course).

Then I saw the cards that came with this and I just fell in love. There are beneficial cards that force you to take on curses. There are curses with beneficial effects. There are monsters that summon other monsters from before the "Advance" era! There are extra treasures and even a miniboss! They even included a Co-op mode with an extra board (not a great board, but it's really just icing, anyway). There's just so many goodies here that I couldn't resist buying it.

Ultimately, portability is taking a backseat to fun, and if AEG keeps cranking out expansions of this quality I'll happily continue throwing money at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.