Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the obvious benefit for variety would anyone recommend this deck? Is it balanced? Is it good for 2p or best with more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
w92viking wrote:
Apart from the obvious benefit for variety would anyone recommend this deck? Is it balanced? Is it good for 2p or best with more?

I can't answer the question of playing with more than 2 but I have enjoyed the cards with 2 players. We play with all of the cards unless there is a specific reason not play with it (traveling players, for example)

What I like about the deck is many different thought processes that you need to take advantage of the cards that you have to work with.

Examples: (I don't have the cards in front of me at the moment, I don't remember the names, sorry)
1. (Occ) You may convert your stone home to wood no more than 2 (might be 3) times during the game for 3 bonus points and 3 clay. This is the Altruist from the Pi deck. An occupation like this does not exist in the Belgium deck. It fits nicely in the set though.
2. (Occ) 13 bonus points but you do not participate in any actions in round 13 and 14.
3. (Minor) 8 VP - 1 VP for any remaining cards in your hand (req: no occupations in play) You may not discard cards, they must be played.
4. (Occ/Minor?) You may discard a card from your hand to gain any one building resource each harvest.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many others that bring in different thoughts with regards to gaining animals, plowing etc.

I think that it is a wonderful change of pace.

I liked the Netherlands expansion for a different reason as it added an increased amount of volatility that made for some wacky combos.

I am liking the art (historical figures, although Claude van Damme?) in these sets as it adds a different flavor to the game without distracting from the game play.

Purists will likely disagree so I guess that I am not one of those. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback looks like I may have to get a copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Winkowitsch
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
Pray and Work
badge
“Men who do not know what is true take care to hold fast to what is certain.” Giambattista Vico, The New Science, Section II.9.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first example of an occupation you give (the one that lets you convert your stone home to wood 2 times during the game for 3 bonus points and 3 clay) is EXACTLY like the Altruist from the Pi Deck.

Are they recycling occupations now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bauble wrote:
The first example of an occupation you give (the one that lets you convert your stone home to wood 2 times during the game for 3 bonus points and 3 clay) is EXACTLY like the Altruist from the Pi Deck.

Are they recycling occupations now?

No they aren't. I picked up both the Pi and Belgium decks at the same time. I assumed that it was part of the Belgium deck but it is not.

The card that I referenced was the Altruist from the Pi deck. I will correct above. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.