Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that this has been asked in other threads, but not definitively answered, so i figured i'd try it here.

I am planning on playing my first 4 player game this weekend, so i'm sure this question will come up.

Can you play an order card on your allies creature? I am leaning towards "No" but was curious if anyone knows an official answer.

thx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. The rules on page 12 are very specific that only creatures YOU CONTROL can have minor and standard cards played on them during the creature's activation.

You can, of course, play immediate order cards at any time. So, you will be able to play defensive cards on your teammate's creatures, but not standard or minor cards.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
slyde wrote:
Can you play an order card on your allies creature?

I don't think there are official multiplayer rules. I just circumvent this whole can of worms by saying this is a two players, head to head game. I am constantly surprised at how popular the idea of a non-optimal gaming experience (i.e. a multiplayer variant for this game) is on the Geek.

Anyway, the answer is : depends on what you mean by 'play on'. To me it's clear that all creatures that are not in your warband are enemy creatures unless you're playing a team variant, in which case all your teammate's creatures are 'allied' to you when it comes to card effects that say stuff like 'target allied creatures'. But this is not official because, again, there's no official team variant. However, what's certain is that only your own creatures can use cards in your Order cards hand during their activation or as an Immediate.

So if you have an Uncanny Dodge in your hand, only your own creatures (with DEX, of level 2 or more) can use it to prevent damage. However, if you have the card that prevents damage from an adjacent ally, your creature could certainly tap to use it and prevent damage from a creature your teammate controls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
I don't think so. The rules on page 12 are very specific that only creatures YOU CONTROL can have minor and standard cards played on them during the creature's activation.

You can, of course, play immediate order cards at any time. So, you will be able to play defensive cards on your teammate's creatures, but not standard or minor cards.

Hope this helps.

ah, good catch Tom. I had missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
slyde wrote:
Can you play an order card on your allies creature?

I don't think there are official multiplayer rules. I just circumvent this whole can of worms by saying this is a two players, head to head game. I am constantly surprised at how popular the idea of a non-optimal gaming experience (i.e. a multiplayer variant for this game) is on the Geek.

Anyway, the answer is : depends on what you mean by 'play on'. To me it's clear that all creatures that are not in your warband are enemy creatures unless you're playing a team variant, in which case all your teammate's creatures are 'allied' to you when it comes to card effects that say stuff like 'target allied creatures'. But this is not official because, again, there's no official team variant. However, what's certain is that only your own creatures can use cards in your Order cards hand during their activation or as an Immediate.

So if you have an Uncanny Dodge in your hand, only your own creatures (with DEX, of level 2 or more) can use it to prevent damage. However, if you have the card that prevents damage from an adjacent ally, your creature could certainly tap to use it and prevent damage from a creature your teammate controls.

thanks Jean.

As i said, i havent played it multiplayer yet (got about a half dozen two player games under my belt), but i generally prefer the aspects of multiplayer games over two player head to head games, so i'm anxious to give this a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, i think i just found the answer to my own question..

from page 10 of the rulebook:

"Controlling and Owning Creatures"
You can activate and play Order cards on a creature only if you control it."

seems pretty clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Actually the official rulebook does include multiplayer rules on page 15.

Wizards have tested the factions against each other out of the box, so multi-player games are nicely balanced and can only be considered non-optimal if you are using min-maxed custom warbands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Actually the official rulebook does include multiplayer rules on page 15.

Wizards have tested the factions against each other out of the box, so multi-player games are nicely balanced and can only be considered non-optimal if you are using min-maxed custom warbands.

thats what i'm hoping

I'll be playing using the 4 existing factions this weekend so i'm hoping its a good and balanced match..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
I'll be playing using the 4 existing factions this weekend so i'm hoping its a good and balanced match..

It will be but if you aren't prepared for a long 2+ hour game, I suggest using a compressed battlefield like so..

If you are really pressed for time or playing with beginners, it might also be better to just use half-factions as reported here - 2 vs 2 with 2 Boxed Sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
slyde wrote:

It will be but if you aren't prepared for a long 2+ hour game, I suggest using a compressed battlefield like so..

If you are really pressed for time or playing with beginners, it might also be better to just use half-factions as reported here - 2 vs 2 with 2 Boxed Sets.

interesting ideas, thanks

In the end, the game got delayed until our next gamenight (next week), so we'll decide then. I believe we'll have the time to play full out, but these variants could be useful. thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.