Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a historical topic:

So I know there was the famous Tainan Air Group. What does the card play represent? What about those unit values? Basically what makes that unit special enough to warrant the special attention the game give them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj L.
Spain
Sevilla
Andalucia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe cause of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainan_Air_Group

"The exploits of the unit were widely publicized in the Japanese media at the time, at least in part because the unit spawned more aces than any other fighter unit in the IJN."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
This is a historical topic:

So I know there was the famous Tainan Air Group. What does the card play represent? What about those unit values? Basically what makes that unit special enough to warrant the special attention the game give them?

In all of my games I try to add a few of the elite units that rose above the rest. So in this game the JP get the Tainan air unit, Tokyo Express APD, and of course the entire pre-war veterans.

One of the things that makes this unit special comes from Saburo Sakai's memoir where he speaks about the ability of the veteran Zero pilots to push their planes to extreme range as they did during the early Guadalcanal campaign. This was a skill as they were flying the plane at the edge of its stall speed. Hence its exceptional range.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.