Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am still wrapping my head around this one. 2719 Kendari. If a Japanese ground unit is here it would be in range of South HQ as per normal position. However no way to activate it as supply can not reach them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Juno44 wrote:

I am still wrapping my head around this one. 2719 Kendari. If a Japanese ground unit is here it would be in range of South HQ as per normal position. However no way to activate it as supply can not reach them?

Correct, you need to move an HQ from the opening HQ placements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig Goodfellow
Canada
Allanburg
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for quick response Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just barely wrapping my brain around this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Just barely wrapping my brain around this.

What part? I am here to help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that is mighty neighborly of you Mark. I mostly get lost with the different requirements for HQ range for activation and attrition. Then there is the final stage where the unit is prevented from being eliminated by being in HQ range. There may be more range issues to consider, they are starting to swirl in my head. Probably just a brief summary of the different ranges to consider if you wish to provide this.

I really don't expect you to go to the trouble though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Well that is mighty neighborly of you Mark. I mostly get lost with the different requirements for HQ range for activation and attrition. Then there is the final stage where the unit is prevented from being eliminated by being in HQ range. There may be more range issues to consider, they are starting to swirl in my head. Probably just a brief summary of the different ranges to consider if you wish to provide this.

I really don't expect you to go to the trouble though.

Sorry this took so long, but life comes at you fast sometimes. Anyway it is no trouble at all as this amongst all of my designs is the one I play most frequently. Thanks for asking...

For those following on the play note under rule 7.52 is a good point of departure. The most important concept to understand is the range on an HQ represents three basic functions: Intelligence, Command, and Supply. The core concept is an HQ represents the command boundaries of the HQs area of control. It is presumed that any unit (as restricted by nationality) within the command boundary that is not interrupted by enemy presence (AZOI usually) or terrain (ports and land masses) is in command and in supply.

So, the intelligence range is an absolute range and cannot be blocked. If enemy activity within your command is not a surprise you have had the intelligence warning to potentially do something about it.

Command range is what is within range and not blocked by enemy presence. Enables command and coordination handled as unit activation.

However, in order to be activated a unit has to be within command, but also in supply which is the most restrictive use of the HQ range.

Lastly, their is attrition supply. I think you are asking a question on why a unit is not eliminated when out of supply if within range of an HQ. The answer is submarine supply which was the ability to keep a unit alive while insufficiently in supply to activate or move. This was a standard Japanese practice and capability during the war.

Anyway I hope this answers your question, if not we can continue the discussion.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That works well Mark, thank you for taking the time to go through that. The rationale will help me commit it to memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the Dutch units kept from attriting when they are not in range of a joint HQ after the Japanese 1941 turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
How are the Dutch units kept from attriting when they are not in range of a joint HQ after the Japanese 1941 turn?

Reduced units, most of the Dutch units, are in attrition supply if they are in range of ANY Allied HQ.

Here is the text from rule 13.4...

"...Unsupplied reduced strength air and ground units that are within range of any friendly HQ (whether the HQ is supplied or not) remain on their reduced side..."

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through this and the rules more carefully, I think I understand now. The last concept related to HQ's is the Supply Line (13.1). This is different from the Command, Intelligence and Attrition Supply mentioned above. It is the most restricted of the types of paths and is limited by the range of the HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark your unexpected diligence and availability increases the value to your titiles! My friend and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is good about that, isn't he.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Mark your unexpected diligence and availability increases the value to your titiles! My friend and I spent 20 minutes trying to figure that one out.

My pleasure. Merry XMAS all.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.