Subject: How does this compare to Muchkin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

A few years ago, my gaming group and I, played ALOT of Munchkin.

We grew tired of it though, because it was ALWAYS the "bash the leader"-syndrome.

I get a feeling, that this game, has the the same "problem". When someone is in front, even the player with the lowest score, tries to stop the leader (because, if he should have just the slighest chance of winning, well the leader must be stopped).. Which makes it completely useless to be in front.

Please correct me, if it isn't so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not really a problem with this game. In it you are to put down damage cards one at a time as a group. You then slip in screw you neighbor cards in an effort to be the one that actually deals the killing blow. How ever there are also cards that defends yourself against those cards.

You are never picking on one person as the way this game works you are always trying to get one over one everyone on every turn.

The problem with this game is if someone at your table is slow to make decisions. There is really no room in this game for slow analytical thinking.

This game is best when people are throwing out their cards quickly with a little bit of friendly smack talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
The decision making is much more meaningful in this game. You sometimes have to be little careful not to let someone run away, but usually it is very competitive until the end.

Also much more variety of play due to the encounter system.

Very highly recommended, especially with the relics expansion at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also bear in mind that bashing the leader in this game usually ends up whittling down the hit points of said leader. Then, unlike Munchkin, if that leader dies, he doesn't come back.

Unfortunately, the monsters don't get any weaker (they scale according to number of starting players) and no one wins if no one makes it through all nine levels.

Yes, I've had new players who unloaded everything on each other on the first monster; the second monster taught them that perhaps they needed to concentrate on teamwork a little...especially when one asked how one left the dungeon to go heal and I laughed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite description of this game is:

"Cutthroat Caverns is like Munchkin, but good."

I even say this to friends of mine who are fans of Munchkin. After a game, they tend to agree with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your informative replies :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.