J. Aalbers
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
After not playing WOTR for a couple months, I recently discovered all of the changes that have been happening to the game over the past year and am now trying to gather all of the information I can before deciding whether to purchase the upgrade kit and the 2nd edition expansion

I currently own both the 1st Edition and Battles of the Third Age and understand that I would need to get the upgrade kit to play LOME. However, I am having difficulty finding a list that demonstrates what the differences are between BOTTA and LOME. I am mainly concerned about changes to the main game and not the expansion Rohan and Gondor maps that came with BOTTA.

Is the following true?

BOTTA - factions - seige engines + Elrond = LOME

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+Gothmog
+ elven ring/lesser minion dice
+ alternative companions/minions
+ some new cards

and some things have changed like the Balrog can take to the field with the right conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the redesigned WK-Chief of the Ringwraiths and Smeagol are much improved from BOTTA versions, IMHO. There are even two Smeagol-specific event cards. Balrog action die makes him a bit more interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Aalbers
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I see. I liked the addition of the factions in BOTTA, but my circle of friends was never a fan of the siege engines. Once they were added, military victories almost became non-existent and most siege battles became drawn out muster dice exchanges as the free people's player constantly kept rebuilding the engines to maintain combat advantage.

Any other opinions or insights would be greatly appreciated. Ignoring the money factor, would it be worth the purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avro Arrow wrote:
Any other opinions or insights would be greatly appreciated. Ignoring the money factor, would it be worth the purchase?

I picked up LOME and love it. I always play Shadow (because my wife likes the good guys) and there are infinitely more strategies available now (i.e. I don't always bring in Saruman with my first 2 musters). There is a legitimate Gandalf the White-denying strategy because you can bring in Gothmog, Balrog, and the new Witch King and none of them satisfy the prerequisite to bring in Gandalf. I also get tons of satisfaction sending the Balrog to Rivendell and the Shire. I don't know if you could do that in BOTTA or not (I never played it).

The elven rings open up many more possibilities for the FPP, too. I have mixed feelings about Smeagol and don't think he really adds much, but he's a small part of the expansion. I haven't tried the alternate companions yet, but that would add even more replay value.

Long story short, if you play WotR at least semi-regularly it is definitely worth it. If you only play occasionally, you could survive without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.