Subject: Effect of Command Block elimination on Order Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been answered already, but I couldn't see it.

The rules state that - "Command blocks cannot retreat. If enemy pieces move into an area containing just a command block then that block is removed, along with any order discs, and placed with the used command blocks."

Should this be taken literally? I.e. when you remove a command block as an action the order discs that were with it on the board are returned to your 'stock', however the above suggests that if losing a command block to enemy action you lose any discs assigned to it until you 'retrieve' all of your command blocks after cycling through them all. Would you even get the order discs back then?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Apologies if this has been answered already, but I couldn't see it.

The rules state that - "Command blocks cannot retreat. If enemy pieces move into an area containing just a command block then that block is removed, along with any order discs, and placed with the used command blocks."

Should this be taken literally? I.e. when you remove a command block as an action the order discs that were with it on the board are returned to your 'stock', however the above suggests that if losing a command block to enemy action you lose the discs until you 'retrieve' all of your command blocks after cycling through them all. Would you even get the order discs back then?

Thanks.

We have always interpreted this as meaning that you have a stock and a used command block pile. When the stock is empty you refresh it with all the blocks in the command block pile. Unfortunately, the rules are a little confusing as to what Martin intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you do with the command blocks is clear enough it's just the order discs - do they go back into your stock of discs or do they stay with the used command blocks until you get them back.

The rules text is unclear - taken literally you lose them but it may just be lazy rules writing as nowhere else does it mention or imply that you may regain order discs as well when you recover all of your command blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
What you do with the command blocks is clear enough it's just the order discs - do they go back into your stock of discs or do they stay with the used command blocks until you get them back.

The rules text is unclear - taken literally you lose them but it may just be lazy rules writing as nowhere else does it mention or imply that you may regain order discs as well when you recover all of your command blocks.

Sorry I read your message too quickly.

With discs, maybe they shouldn't be called "the stock." We consider it a retrieved disc pile.

Order discs from your "retrieved disc pile" come back at the start of a new time period. If you don't have enough, then (as the Union player) you have to take black discs, etc.

This is why I don't "attack" command blocks with lots of order discs. It just helps the other player out. An empty (or near empty) command block, however, it just asking to be "attacked."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
This is why I don't "attack" command blocks with lots of order discs. It just helps the other player out.

This is exactly why I am wondering if the rule I quoted is to be taken literally, i.e. if the command block is 'over run' the order discs do not go to a 'stock'/'retrieved disc' pile and therefore are available to come back at the start of a new time period, but are actually lost to the player by having to go to the removed command block pile and only available again once you get all your command blocks back.

Thematically it doesn't make sense for attacking armies to avoid moving into an area with just an enemy command block, if it has a number of order discs attached to it, to avoid helping the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reply from Martin Wallace via email:-

"When a command block is removed from the board, for any reason, then the order discs with it are returned to your stock. They are never permanently removed from the game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
YES i would agree...i suggest if a COMMAND block is " forcefully removed " due to enemy action.. then ONE order disc IS left behind..on the map..where the CBlock was...and thus not available for the next time period...

WHERE you voluntarily remove a command block { which takes an action and gives your opponent " time " } any order discs just go back to the stock...

[ in effect when you " remove " a command block..and then place " him " again...you are " refreshing " your ability to issue orders..for the NEXT time period... ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Wallace games, but he needs a proper "developer" to pin issues like this down. I played Gettysburg today and this and most of the other key questions discussed here on BGG came up in that one game. They are not even obscure issues, but central.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.