Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So the rule book seems to make a distinction between how support triangles on reactors and generators work depending on whether they effect fuel consumptions or thrust, and I wanted to make sure I'm understanding this right.

So if a reactor or a generator has a support triangle that has a modifier to Thrust (whether a positive or a negative modifier I assume) then that modifier will count toward your rocket's thrust regardless of whether that card is directly supporting the thruster, or whether it's supporting the support for the thruster. For example if my thruster requires a generator, and my generator requires a reactor, and the REACTOR has a +1 to thrust, then that +1 still counts toward my thrust. Right?

However, if a reactor or a generator has a support triangle that is a modifier to my fuel efficiency, then that modifier only applies ONLY if the reactor or generator is directly supporting my thruster. So if my thruster requires a generator, and the generator requires a reactor, and that reactor provides for 1/2 fuel consumption, then that bonus does NOT count for my rocket.

That seems to be what the rules say if you read them literally, but I wasn't sure I'm reading too much into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thrust support triangles only support thrusters or robonauts that require those supports..

So the met steamer needs a generator ..

if the generator that you use to support needs a reactor then the thrust support from reactor will support thruster .. if not then reactor support won't help thrust ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle W.
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now appearing in Jurassic World! (Not really)
badge
How Me Grimlock get geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I'm misunderstanding something along the line, as long as the reactor is tied into your active thruster (either directly or via a generator), you gain the bonus effect whether it's a modifier to thrust or reduced fuel consumption.

The distinction the rules make about not getting the fuel benefit from a reactor that isn't supporting a thruster is meant to cover situations where you might have the reactor as part of your rocket stack but not connected to your active thruster.

For example, if your thruster was the Mirror Steamer (which needs no supports) but you also carried the D-T Fusion Tokamak (presumably to support a robonaut) you would not get the 1/2 fuel consumption bonus when moving because it's not supporting the thruster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What Kyle said. As long as the support is contributing to the Thruster you get the mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
What Kyle said. As long as the support is contributing to the Thruster you get the mods.

Ok, thanks everyone.

The reason it was confusing to me was simply that in the section of the rules dealing with thrust, the rules are explicit that if the reactor is supporting a generator which is in turn supporting a thruster, then the thrust bonus still counts. However in section that addresses fuel consumption the rules merely say that you get the bonus if the reactor is "used in support of a thruster", but don't specifically address the case of an intervening generator. So since they were described differently I was thinking that perhaps they work differently.

Sounds like support triangles are always going to apply so long as they are ultimately in the chain of things that are making your thruster go.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.