Subject: Strictness in placing station and then string rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played my first game of String Railway.

Highly enjoyable, and should not be taken to seiously.

After watching the high speed video I started wonderwing about one thing. Hope you can give me you opinion on the topic.

The rules state: 1. draw, 2. place station, 3. place string.

In the video, however I saw that sometimes (eg when they placed the station too far for the string) the players took up the already (newly) placed station and put it on a different spot.
Is that legal?

so, do you play a) or b)
a) One you let go of a station, phase 2 is ended and the new station remains there.
b) phase 2 and 3 sort of happen at the same time, so you can reposition the station you drew while placing the string.

thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play (a), what do you do if someone places their station too far away? You'll end up with random unconnected stations, and people only have a handful of strings.

This is a light-hearted game and you seem to be in danger of overthinking it. Let prople adjust the station they just placed (or even place them together), it leads to much more interesting edge cases.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always allowed placing string first and then slipping the new station under the string. The game goes bad if people are too strict about the string placement anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the exact opposite as my friends above- a station laid is a station played! Now, before I get killed for being too rigid for what is supposed to be a light hearted game...we find that enforcing such a rule really adds to the suspense and humor of the game. Inevitably players will get greedy and place a station somewhere to get max points and will be unable to connect, which always leads to a hearty dose of laughter from us. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
I play the exact opposite as my friends above- a station laid is a station played! Now, before I get killed for being too rigid for what is supposed to be a light hearted game...we find that enforcing such a rule really adds to the suspense and humor of the game. Inevitably players will get greedy and place a station somewhere to get max points and will be unable to connect, which always leads to a hearty dose of laughter from us. wow

I agree. If playing with gamers, I'd stick to this for sure. If you're playing with your gramma's sewing club, then you can adjust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik holliday
United Kingdom
Glasgow
lanarkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:
Yesterday I played my first game of String Railway.

Highly enjoyable, and should not be taken to seriously.

Have you played this with a bunch of gamers? The 'take that' aspect of the game can make it extremely cutthoat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.