Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto (Scarborough)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about this game and thought it might be fun to create my own version of the game before purchasing.

I'm not crazy about the theme of the game. I get the play on words in the title but would like something a little different.

I've been trying to think of some kind of retheme that might work. Tug of War? Chickens crossing the road? Pendulums swinging back and forth? Zombies being lured back and forth?

Any suggestions anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
words on fire?

pull them from a burning building or away from a bonfire.

or, maybe a type of coop game where everyone tries to keep the letters from sinking or being pulled toward something bad - a Tornado or w'ever?

Like , letters initially sit on squares numbered from 1-6. (like a-1 b-2,....g-1, h-2... etc), After each word, a 6D is rolled and all remaining letters on that number move one square AWAY from the player's side toward oblivion, or a fire or into a tornado, etc. So, each new word creates an incentive to 'save' the letters most in danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto (Scarborough)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a new theme is harder than I thought. It's been a year and you're the only one to reply and I still haven't tried this game!

Right now I'm thinking a Frogger arcade retheme... still not quite what I was hoping for though.

Thanks for the ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suppose, instead of letters, the tiles were foods, ingredients and spices.

Requires cooking knowledge instead of vocabulary knowledge. I'd guess, as the game progressed, more exotic/unusual ingredients would be last on the board.

I dunno, I can't quite figure out how to play it. Pictures of foods with ingredients listed on the back of the card????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto (Scarborough)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
suppose, instead of letters, the tiles were foods, ingredients and spices.

Requires cooking knowledge instead of vocabulary knowledge. I'd guess, as the game progressed, more exotic/unusual ingredients would be last on the board.

I dunno, I can't quite figure out how to play it. Pictures of foods with ingredients listed on the back of the card????

WHOA! THAT would be an unusual game! LOL!
And probably not one that I would like to play. I really hate cooking. I think making toast takes too long.

Really though, I was more thinking of a simple retheme. Same game but a different theme. So instead of trying to get your letter to the other side of the road, it might be trying to get the commando to come to your side of the board and "get to the chopper". Still good ideas though.

Let us know how your game turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol! just brainstorming!

I will probably stick with words but will use dice to create a solitaire/co-op variant.

If you consider having a large vocabulary a type of trivia, then other types of trivial knowledge might be used as a theme. Put years or decades on the tiles and have the cards with events or movies and you slide the Year over you think is associated? I dunno, hard to not think of the tiles as just scoring markers then. The letters of the alphabet are more closely tied to our words and make them integral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an easy one would be to have two different cults on either side of the road. You are trying to lure cultists to your faction before your opponent and summon your dark lord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto (Scarborough)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
I think an easy one would be to have two different cults on either side of the road. You are trying to lure cultists to your faction before your opponent and summon your dark lord.

Oh I LOVE THAT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.