Recommend
53 
 Thumb up
 Hide
181 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Voidstate's X-Wing Squadron Builder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

I've been working on a web-app squadron builder for X-Wing and thought I'd post a link to see what you guys think.

It's not 100% finished but most of it's there. Currently you can:

* Create multiple squadrons at once
* Print them
* Save them
* Share them on Facebook or with a link
* Record wins and losses (which gives other users live updates on how the squadron they're building has performed in the past)

You can see it here:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/build

And see the squadrons other users have made here:

http://x-wing.voidstate.com/list

I'd really appreciate any feedback you have. Are there any errors in the stats? Anything not working? Suggestions for improvements? Anything you can think of.

Cheers

Fergus

[Edit: Tuesday 5th December 2012]
There is now no need to enter a squad name - it's auto-filled with "[Unnnamed Squadron]". This way you get to the fun bit sooner. Thanks Duke of Lizards!

[Edit: Wednesday 6th December 2012]
The Squadron Builder now tracks unique upgrades. Thanks Scott Milbuta!

[Edit: Thursday 7th December 2012]
Black squadron now have their Elite Pilot Talents. Also, speeded up the load times a bit.

[Edit: Sunday 9th December 2012]
The app now loads up OK if Facebook is blocked by a firewall. Should load a bit faster, too.

[Edit: Tuesday 11th December 2012]
I've added the A-Wings and TIE Interceptors. Will add the big ships soon but they need a bit more work to integrate (ship-specific upgrades, crew, bombs, etc. need adding to the app)

[Edit: Friday 14th December 2012]
The app now tells you which expansion pilots and upgrades are from. I figured it was getting a but confusing what with all the new upgrades.

[Edit: Saturday 15th December 2012]
The YT-1300 and Firespray are added now!

[Edit: Sunday 16th December 2012]
Improved the pilot tree so you only need to hover to see pilots.

[Edit: Tuesday 18th December 2012]
Modification upgrades. Stealthify your ship!

[Edit: Thursday 20th December 2012]
Millenium Falcon and Slave-1 Title upgrades are now live.

[Edit: Wednesday 2nd January 2013]
You can now save wins and losses from within the normal squadron view.

[Edit: Friday 11th January 2013]
Added a new page to list all squadrons: http://x-wing.voidstate.com/list

[Edit: Monday 14th January 2013]
Improvements to the squadron lister.

[Edit: Thursday 17th January 2013]
Squadron lister now keeps a live total - see when new squadrons are added.

[Edit: Wednesday 23rd January 2013]
Squadron lister now allows you to filter by specific pilots

[Edit: Friday 1st February 2013]
Squadron lister now lets you "thumb" squadrons to save them and suggest them to others.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks nice, but runs a little slow.

Also, Expert Handling costs 2 points, not 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking a look.

I've fixed the points for expert handling (knew I'd type something in wrong!)

And yeah, it little slow for now. Once I'm happy with it, I'll roll all the source files up so it doesn't have to load them all separately. That'll make it much faster.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice..

You need to build in unique limits. Or some notification alerting the builder to a unique unit/item violation. Currently its to easy to accidentally build an illegal list not knowing those limits, especially with the variety of droids.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's excellent, even down to your funny wee logo.

For sheer novelty nonsense value it would be cool if there were sound files to go with some of the choices, a tie fighter whine or "red 5 standing by" as you add them to your fleet.

But there is absolutely no need for that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Lind
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it too, I've been looking for a W/D/L tracker. I can see getting use out of it for this, particularly if I could link it to a blog or forum.

Another point discrepancy I've noticed - Swarm Tactics should be 2 points, not 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really good
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works great on my ipad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Very cool. I like it. Clean and simple UI that gives you all the information you need. Everything is obvious. Thanks for putting in the effort.

I looked near the bottom and noticed a line saying "This squadron has never been built before!" What does this mean? Is this comparing against my other saved squadrons or other people's as well? Also, what other cool little things does this pop up with? I like little touches like this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice app! Good work think it runs great on ipad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
I've spotted another small points error. R2-D2 costs four points, not three.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malek
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice and useful. One point discrepcency I've noticed: Squad Leader should cost 2 points, not 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's very, very slick. Nice work!

Two problems:

1) Swarm Tactics, as noted by another user, costs 2 points rather than 3.

2) In a possibly related bug, using the icon in the lower right to duplicate a list with 102/100 points results in a new tab with 12/100 spent. The tab has no content (appears blank).

EDIT: One more note. The current functionality is great, but my first intuition was to drag and drop from the left-side bar of ships to the "Your Squadron" window. (The Add/View menu that currently appears when you left-click on a pilot might be implemented as a right-click instead.)

EDIT 2: Another bug! Clicking the "delete" button (small X) for a pilot correctly updates the point total, but doesn't remove the pilot from the squadron list. The list is correct in the "Print" dialog, however.

Testing in Firefox 16.0.2 on a 2011 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.7.5.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Aaaand Swarm Tactics is two points, not three.

Robert beat me to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one thing I've always wanted was the ability to put in the ships that I own and have it spit out all the possible configurations for various (100/80/65 etc) point game. Don't know how much work that would be to program, but it would be very cool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty cool. How about naming the squad at the time of saving rather than up front? Sometimes I just like to dry different combos without any idea of what I'll end up with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Frizzell
United States
Springfield
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had time to take a thorough look (being at work and all...), but I just wanted to say: Looks amazing! Keep up the good work!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One more: Night Beast and Winged Gundark both cost 15, not 14.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see the ability to save squad builds to a file or have some other way of saving builds without being a Facebook user. I never have and never will have a Facebook page.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
WEIRD WAR FOR BOLT ACTION
badge
ROBOT TROOPER SAYS LETS KICK IVANS BUTT!
mbmbmbmbmb
that is absolutely fantastic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the appreciation, everyone. I've fixed all the point cost errors. Knew I shouldn't have been drinking wine while typing out all the data from the cards...

And I'm very pleased it works on iPads!

As for specific questions and bugs:

atraangelis wrote:
You need to build in unique limits. Or some notification alerting the builder to a unique unit/item violation. Currently its to easy to accidentally build an illegal list not knowing those limits, especially with the variety of droids.


The pilot tree on the left tracks uniques. The icon turns grey when you select a unique pilot and only turns red again when you have removed all of that pilot from a squad.

As for droids, I know it would be strange to have more than one R2-D2 but the card doesn't say "unique" like pilots do. Is it actually against the rules?

BlackSpy wrote:
I think it's excellent, even down to your funny wee logo.

For sheer novelty nonsense value it would be cool if there were sound files to go with some of the choices, a tie fighter whine or "red 5 standing by" as you add them to your fleet.

But there is absolutely no need for that!


Don't think I haven't considered it... but I think it might be annoying for some people. You could always make your own noises (you do that when you play, right? It can't be only me. )

BlackDog_9 wrote:
I like it too, I've been looking for a W/D/L tracker. I can see getting use out of it for this, particularly if I could link it to a blog or forum.


You can link to a squadron or get it as text to post into a forum from the "Share" button.

Or do you mean, share a link to all your squadrons with their W/D/L stats?

Three Headed Monkey wrote:
I looked near the bottom and noticed a line saying "This squadron has never been built before!" What does this mean? Is this comparing against my other saved squadrons or other people's as well? Also, what other cool little things does this pop up with? I like little touches like this.


It compares against everyone's squadrons, and updates with every change you make. That way, once the app gets more use, you'll (hopefully) get real-time feedback on your choices.

Vorpal Sword wrote:
Two problems:

2) In a possibly related bug, using the icon in the lower right to duplicate a list with 102/100 points results in a new tab with 12/100 spent. The tab has no content (appears blank).


I can't get this to happen. I'm using Firefox 17 on a PC, though. Doesn't happen on IE, Chrome, Safari or Opera either. Can you recall how the squadron was made up?

Also, do you have the Firebug extension? If you open Firebug and do this again, do you see any messages?

Vorpal Sword wrote:
EDIT: One more note. The current functionality is great, but my first intuition was to drag and drop from the left-side bar of ships to the "Your Squadron" window. (The Add/View menu that currently appears when you left-click on a pilot might be implemented as a right-click instead.)


I really want to do this, too. But Drag n' Drop is hard. My first attempt was far too buggy so I dropped it (bad pun - sorry!) I may try again though with a different Javascript library.

Vorpal Sword wrote:
EDIT 2: Another bug! Clicking the "delete" button (small X) for a pilot correctly updates the point total, but doesn't remove the pilot from the squadron list. The list is correct in the "Print" dialog, however.


Hm. Can't replicate this either. Do you see anything in Firebug?

Vidfreaky wrote:
one thing I've always wanted was the ability to put in the ships that I own and have it spit out all the possible configurations for various (100/80/65 etc) point game. Don't know how much work that would be to program, but it would be very cool.


I think this is a project for someone else. It would be very complicated. very, very complicated. And with all the possible combinations it might spit out,I think you may just end up with too much data to do anything useful with. If anyone wants the data for the pilots, upgrades, etc. to try this, though, just send me a message.

On the other hand, I have been toying with the idea of a random squad generator...

polychrotid wrote:
pretty cool. How about naming the squad at the time of saving rather than up front? Sometimes I just like to dry different combos without any idea of what I'll end up with.


Great idea. It'd be much better to be able to dive straight into making a squadron. I'll definitely do this.

galathonredd wrote:
I'd love to see the ability to save squad builds to a file or have some other way of saving builds without being a Facebook user. I never have and never will have a Facebook page.


I'll also add Google authentication if I have time. I just chose Facebook because it's so easy.

You could always sign up for a Facebook account under a pseudonym. The app only uses your login details. You don't actually have to be an active Facebook user.

---

Please keep 'em coming. I'm sure there must be more bugs in there and I'm very open to suggestions for improvements.

vs
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
voidstate wrote:
As for droids, I know it would be strange to have more than one R2-D2 but the card doesn't say "unique" like pilots do. Is it actually against the rules?


Actually, it does. There is a small dot in front of the name, and just as for pilots, that means it is unique.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Hadley
United Kingdom
leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tako wrote:
voidstate wrote:
As for droids, I know it would be strange to have more than one R2-D2 but the card doesn't say "unique" like pilots do. Is it actually against the rules?


Actually, it does. There is a small dot in front of the name, and just as for pilots, that means it is unique.


Ahhh... In that case, I'll see what I can do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Vidfreaky wrote:
one thing I've always wanted was the ability to put in the ships that I own and have it spit out all the possible configurations for various (100/80/65 etc) point game. Don't know how much work that would be to program, but it would be very cool.

I'm fairly certain this is a np problem. While solvable, with a big enough set of upgrades to sort through and compare, it will take far too long to be practical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome program.

But I am having trouble removing ships from my rebel squad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.