10 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Experience using it as a Gateway game for more then 5 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

This may come across as a little dumb but knowing TTR is THE gateway game i am inclined to use it for a group of friends coming over this holiday. They dont usually play games and if it is its the usual monopoly or cluedo. However there would be 7 of us in all! I would be a 7th player.. I know of another version that can play 6 in teams or something but money only goes so far. Does anyone have any experience of using TTR Europe as the game to show many people there is another world out there? Should i avoid TTR with this many players? No way of adding more without teaming up? What games can i use to show them once you pass go keep going!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I have had pretty good success with Citadels and new players when there were 6 players. Another one that may work well would be 7 Wonders. Ticket to Ride is not a game I would use because with 5 players the game can take a bit of time for a bunch of first time players, especially when they start drawing new routes.

Another game that I like with 5 or more players is BANG!.

Good luck!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Casson wrote:

This may come across as a little dumb but knowing TTR is THE gateway game i am inclined to use it for a group of friends coming over this holiday. They dont usually play games and if it is its the usual monopoly or cluedo. However there would be 7 of us in all! I would be a 7th player.. I know of another version that can play 6 in teams or something but money only goes so far. Does anyone have any experience of using TTR Europe as the game to show many people there is another world out there? Should i avoid TTR with this many players? No way of adding more without teaming up? What games can i use to show them once you pass go keep going!
If possible, get 2 copies of TtR, or TtR E and any other eurogame. 6p or 7p TtR E just seems much to crowded, even with stations that it's only OK for "social eurogaming". If you're serious about getting them into the hobby, consider playing the gmaes as intended first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas Casson wrote:

I would have suggested the Team Asia map. But if money is an issue, you could probably just try playing Europe with the Team Asia rules. I haven't heard many reports of people trying this, but it definitely seems doable. As a 7th player, you might just have to be the referee/party host and not an active player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ticket to Ride series are GREAT gateway games!

For variety, I would also strongly recommend you get King of Tokyo if you can. I find this to be another GREAT gateway game since the mechanics are dirt easy, and the players can learn the effects of the cards as they turn up.

With these 2 (TTR being "euroish", Kot being "thematic") you can surely scratch the different gaming itches of your (hopefully) new gaming group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
I have had pretty good success with Citadels and new players when there were 6 players.

Citadels with more than 4 players takes forever and might scare people away from gaming.

Not recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Jacovis wrote:
I have had pretty good success with Citadels and new players when there were 6 players.

Citadels with more than 4 players takes forever and might scare people away from gaming.

Not recommended.

Rubbish. Citadels with 6/7 players is fine. It doesn't take forever. Besides, if these are new players they will have no expectation on the length of time a game may take, and they will be interested in what is happening between turns, as other players take their turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
l-hansen wrote:
Jacovis wrote:

Not recommended.

Rubbish. Citadels with 6/7 players is fine. It doesn't take forever. Besides, if these are new players they will have no expectation on the length of time a game may take, and they will be interested in what is happening between turns, as other players take their turns.
YMMV.

6p Citadels takes 1 to 2 hours. The lower range is for those who think quickly. If players take more than 5 to 10s per decisions point, then multiplying that extra time among how ever many players + the number of turns that occur in the game DO make the take that much longer. Playing it with 7p to 8p can take 1.5 hours to 3 hours!

As for whether or not this will jive with the group... In a TtR session report, one guy pretty much lied and told his Wii gamers that TtR will take about 5 minutes. They tried TtR and liked it, but it took just over an hour. In this case, the ends justified the means. However, when playing APples To APples, the group had so much fun that everyone wanted to play another game after the 1st one. This repeated once more. By the end of the 3rd or 4th game, after an hour later, people were bored and wanted to move on to something else.

The "YMMV" part comes in where some people don't mind longer games that would overstay their welcome, the majority of my experiences with Citadels is it takes longer then it should. And yes, people have been vocal about it when Citadels drags on. Sometimes, you can feel the dread in the air. TO that end, I'd suggest building to 7 or 6 districts to cut down playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Another one that may work well would be 7 Wonders.

Maybe this is just me... I'm not super experienced at the whole modern game thing, but I'm not gateway level either. And 7 Wonders had me confused. I also felt too much like I wasn't playing with everyone. I spent so much time with the person before or after me explaining cards that it was hard to notice someone at the other end of the table.

I think it's worth me sitting down with the rules to straighten some stuff out and then I'd probably like this. But if this had been my first game, I might have gotten turned off pretty quickly.

It's always possible the people who explained the rules did a particularly bad job of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
l-hansen wrote:
Jacovis wrote:

Not recommended.

I'd kill myself before playing 7-player Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.