Subject: Are there not enough opinions in Fresco? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at this game but the one thing holding me off is that there doesn't seem to be enough choices where you can place your workers in the game. Can anyone confirm if my thoughts are correct or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you don't have many choices where to place your workers, it is crucial to place them right!

You will face many choices in this game - and hard ones these are! meeple
The only problem I have with Fresco is that it is extremely AP prone. Probably because of the many things you have to consider when it comes to worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drittz wrote:
I've been looking at this game but the one thing holding me off is that there doesn't seem to be enough choices where you can place your workers in the game. Can anyone confirm if my thoughts are correct or not?

Yes and now.

Yes: only 5 spaces where you can put your workers, as opposed to Agricola's 20+.

No: While you only have a limited number of spaces, you can assign up to 3 workers per space. So this gives you 15 places to use. Also, worker placement is dependent on your "get up" time. If you are forced to wake up late, probably you wont need many workers on the Market since you will get only the leftovers. Also, if you wake up first, you will get all the goodies in the market, but you also need to invest in Theater so you wont end up with unhappy workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
While you only have a limited number of spaces, you can assign up to 3 workers per space. So this gives you 15 places to use.

I know it's five tasks with spaces for three workers on each task, but calling it 15 places to put your workers is giving it way too much credit. It's still only five choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Having fewer placements increases interaction. Fresco is an excellent little offering with a solid design.

Light but deep; comparably I'd say Agricola is heavy and deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felt that way too reading the rules then looked at the three expansions included in the game. I am not sure why they call them expansions? Maybe they were thinking of younger players, my guess a gimmick used by publishers to keep down play time on the box to help sell it? ( Note the ? marks, not statements of facts :) )

Moot point, play with the expansions, they are not that hard to learn, they make the game work, the game feels incomplete without them. It sucks that you have two rule books to look at and the reader gets to paste in his head the game together.

With the 3 expansions you have just enough options. The rest of those expansions available for purchase just clogs up the game for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because there are only five columns to choose from on your player tableau, do not take that to mean there aren't many choices. Once you have assigned your apprentices, there are STILL choices to make. WHich market do I pick? WHich paint tiles do I buy? Which cathedral tiles should I restore? WHich paints should I mix and which ones should I save? WHat time am I going to wake up next round? Deciding how to allocate your apprentices is only a part of the decisions you must make each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you add in the mix expansion module n. 6 (the glaziers) you get a sixth option and an increased depth that really enhances the enjoyment of the game for more experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
Drittz wrote:

It is not about how many places there are it is about balancing them. You have to make sure that you get enough paint to mix and or restore the fresco. So you have to use your 5 guys on the 16 spaces in a strategic way. You WILL make mistakes and be screwed over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.