Subject: Guillotine paper cutters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys and gals is there a reason that most do not use the type of cutters linked below for cards and counters other than expense? Or do they not work well for cards and chipboard counters???

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a guillotine cutter for prototypes and the like.

It cuts up to about 9 sheets of normal paper 'acceptably' but for finer work I'll tend to cut single sheets at a time, which gets time consuming.

I would NOT use these for chipboard, ever.

The issue I suspect many will state is that you lose some precision over the end of the cut not near the hinge. If your card images are not perfectly aligned to the center of the paper (allowing you to use that as your cutting guide, you'll end up with imprecise cuts.

Edit:

Looking at the link, it claims up to 400 sheets. That's 80% of a REAM! I'm not so sure I'd go to that capacity, but if it cuts precisely then it would be a nice way to get all card in a deck of up to about 120-150 all cut exactly the same time.

If you get one, let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
I use guillotine to cut cards most of the time although my cutter is a different brand (fiskars). I don't use it for counters though because of the thickness. The cards I make tend to be somewhat thick, 110 cardstock, then sticker paper for the backs, then laminated. The cutter has no problem with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I didn't know they made desktop versions of straight-down cutters. The mailing company I used to work for had an iron behemoth from the 1930s that could chop your arm off.

It could be useful for making multiple copies of self-published games. For one-off print and play games, my desktop roller cutter works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I use a guillotine cutter for prototypes and the like.

It cuts up to about 9 sheets of normal paper 'acceptably' but for finer work I'll tend to cut single sheets at a time, which gets time consuming.

I would NOT use these for chipboard, ever.

The issue I suspect many will state is that you lose some precision over the end of the cut not near the hinge. If your card images are not perfectly aligned to the center of the paper (allowing you to use that as your cutting guide, you'll end up with imprecise cuts.

Edit:

Looking at the link, it claims up to 400 sheets. That's 80% of a REAM! I'm not so sure I'd go to that capacity, but if it cuts precisely then it would be a nice way to get all card in a deck of up to about 120-150 all cut exactly the same time.

If you get one, let us know.
if it can cut 400 sheets why not for chip board it cant be because of thickness? Just wondering new at it thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's some confusion here because what is usually called a guillotine cutter is something different where the blade is on the lever arm. They are not typically very accurate, particularly with thicker material.

This appears to be more like a professional cutter where the entire length of the blade comes down at the same time. With a sharp blade and the paper clamped in, it could work much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cutter I have can cut max 9 sheets before I'm not happy with the result.

9 sheets is much less than chipboard.

-=-=-

Then I edited my post after looking at the link more carefully, and commented that if it can cut 400 sheets, it might handle chipboard.

However.

400 very thin things versus 1 very thick thing may react with the cutter differently and still not produce desired results.

Try taking a pair of scissors to the phone book, and then doing the same to chipboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Video of this thing in action:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And an unboxing video:

Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
He cuts through a paperback book.

So maybe it can handle chipboard given the angle the cutter blade is coming at the material from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
The cutter I have can cut max 9 sheets before I'm not happy with the result.

9 sheets is much less than chipboard.

-=-=-

Then I edited my post after looking at the link more carefully, and commented that if it can cut 400 sheets, it might handle chipboard.

However.

400 very thin things versus 1 very thick thing may react with the cutter differently and still not produce desired results.

Try taking a pair of scissors to the phone book, and then doing the same to chipboard.
Good points and with this cutter though and the clamping mech. it makes thin sheets into a solid piece which cuts easier than if it was not clamped so i believe this particular kind of cutter would handle chip board pretty easy. yes no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you know. Watch the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beer be with you.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
Settlers of Catan does not improve with your house rules. The best option if you don't like the rules as written is to just select another game.
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

I cry foul. After the "supposed" cut, he takes the book out of the frame and then shows us the "same" one he took out.

It's all done with smoke and mirrors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I cry foul. After the "supposed" cut, he takes the book out of the frame and then shows us the "same" one he took out.

It's all done with smoke and mirrors.

Minus the binding, yes.

The camera framing is not the best (it's clear that the person believes the camera angle is about 10 degrees higher than it actually is).

That's not a thin book (100+ pages) and the cut does look clean.

This might be great for mass-cutting of prototype cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because most people don't know of this product, or availability is limited, or the cost.

I certainly had never seen anything like it, and was pretty surprised at the reasonable $128 price tag.

But that's a lot more then the $10 I paid for a used old school guillotine cutter. I just deal with the accuracy limitations. I penny sleeve all PNP cards anyway. But if you sacrifice speed and maintain your cutter sharpness, you can get pretty accurate results.

Also, for the additional cost, you could probably PNP 3 or 4 more games.

But hey, if you want to level up your PNP efforts, I say this looks like a good bet. But would you really want to make the final set of cuts of a strip of 1/2" or 3/4" counters on that thing? Looks like it would take forever, even if it would cut through with no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:

But hey, if you want to level up your PNP efforts, I say this looks like a good bet. But would you really want to make the final set of cuts of a strip of 1/2" or 3/4" counters on that thing? Looks like it would take forever, even if it would cut through with no problem.

Depends, how many strips are we talking about? If I could stack up a full sheet's worth of strips and cut them all at once, it'd be no different than doing the x-acto "cut only to the registration marks so you don't separate the strips" thing, except I'd be cutting with a guillotine, and not an x-acto + ruler. For something that has a lot of counters( Valor & Victory, Skirmish Wars: Advance Tactics, any 18XX, etc) that'd be a very good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ritz Rittman
msg tools
To me, guillotine cutter = giant scissors.
Don’t expect it to be a mechanical cutter.
- Good for multiple layer of 'soft & flexible' material e.g. ordinary paper
- Not recommended for 'hard & rigid' material e.g. chipboard. It will give uneven cutting surface like when you use scissors.
- Not so recommended for precision cut too.
- For cutting chipboard tile, I recommend rotary paper trimmer, good cutter & strong arms. You might need to cut more than once but your cutting surface will be more smooth and more precise than those from guillotine cutter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kozak
United States
Springfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
that thing looks pretty sweet! I've got one more thing to ask Santa for!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife got one of these for me for my Christmas present:

The Pros:
- The thing is solidly built. I mean really solid. It is actually pretty nice construction.
- The few test cuts I did worked really well. It does cut chipboard fine.

The Cons:
- I had a little trouble finding where exactly the cut was going to be on the paper. You have to look where the last cut appeared in the red protecting mat. Either that, or watch where the blade is going when you lower it. You can easily see the blade through the plastic protector. In my case, I was trying to get down to less than a millimeter of where to cut, and it was a bit difficult to position the paper right.

In the end I decided it was more than I needed, so I am trying to return it. From their eBay listing:

"Return Policy
We can accept the return item within 60 days after the buyer receives it. Once we receive the return item, then we will refund you FULL money.we pay for the shipping cost."

So far the experience has not been good. They want me to ship it to another purchaser rather than back to them, which is a violation of eBay policy, and a really bad idea. What if the other person refuses to pay? It sounds kind of shaky to me.

eBay just tells me to contact the seller. There does not appear to be a way to contact eBay on the listing.

I have a feeling that I may not be able to return this as promised on the eBay listing, so if someone is looking for one of these and can use this heavy duty cutter, I would be happy to sell it to you for a discount, assuming I am not able to return it. I will know in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
I have a feeling that I may not be able to return this as promised on the eBay listing, so if someone is looking for one of these and can use this heavy duty cutter, I would be happy to sell it to you for a discount, assuming I am not able to return it. I will know in a few days.

Please let me know if you do end up selling it. I would be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Solamar wrote:

Please let me know if you do end up selling it. I would be interested.
I will do that. I need to follow through and see what they do in the next day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks like they let me return it. It remains to be seen if I get anything back on it or if they pay the return shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Well, it looks like they let me return it. It remains to be seen if I get anything back on it or if they pay the return shipping.

Thanks for the update. I will consider buying direct then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a follow up on this evil company:

- Multiple emails to get the thing returned.
- They finally tell us where to ship it for return.
- WE have to pay return shipping. They say they will reemburse shipping. They do NOT.
- After shipment received, they DO NOT refund the original purchase price or the shipping.
- They stop responding to emails.
- We contest the credit card charge, and the credit card company reverses the original charge (but not the shipping).
- That company comes back and contests the credit card reversal, even though we have documentation that it was A)Received and B)Confirmed.
- Currently sending 20 pages of documentation to the credit card company to contest their reversal.

I am thinking the credit card company will eventually side with us, but we will be out the $60 bucks to ship this thing back.

Oh, and by the way, they have doubled the price of the item on eBay.

Stay away. Far far away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are good guillotine cutters, but nearly all I've used that use muscle power for bringing down the blade—and especially the variety found in some classrooms—pulls the paper away from a true, straight line and gives the final piece a skew.

I muggle it out with an X-acto or a utility knife, a ruler or straight edge, and a self-healing cutting mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.