Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read about the runaway leader problem and there are some ideas that have been thrown around, but little followup to how the suggestions work. Is this game worth playing in non coop mode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Glenshaw
Pa
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

What is your suggestion to fix the runaway leader problem in this base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
corkysru wrote:

What is your suggestion to fix the runaway leader problem in this base game?

It's really not that much of a problem long term. Just suck it up and have some fun.

The deck also has a fair few events that target the leading player or benefit the losing ones. I've won games with my starting ship against people who have the Enterprise, it's all about attitude, deck building and a little luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love TNG and I like deck-builders and I wanted to like this game but I just couldn't get into it, it just wasn't any fun and it didn't seem like a good game. I'm selling my copy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solitaire so far, but I've enjoyed it. Looking to play against a few living (non-imaginary) opponents soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I like it but it does suffer with a runaway leader problem

I find that our group has "Solved" the co-op mode so we don't really play it anymore

We still have not tried the romulan or klingon scenarios yet but they looked interesting.

So in conclusion yes it is worth playing but be aware of its flaws
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried proposed solution like diplomacy not upgrading your ship but just going into your points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest problem is the massive flat boost to diplomacy you get when you acquire a new ship. It makes getting the next one practically trivial. I mean, let's say I can manage 6 diplomacy in a hand. I capture a ship that has 5 diplomacy, now I always have at LEAST 5 diplomacy and can scrape together 11. That's a huge jump, and it seems to be the factor that contributes most to the runaway leader.

The proposed solution by the designer is to use the ships from the first expansion, which have a flatter stat curve than the base game. I don't have the first expansion, so I don't know how well this works to solve the problem.

Despite this flaw, our games are usually somewhat close with the occasional one where someone just runs away with it. It's pretty fun, but then I got mine for like 15 bucks on clearance at Barnes & Noble. If I was paying 40 or more for it, I might expect better balance.

To sum up: at full MSRP you might be disappointed, but it's worth a play if you can find it cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal solution was to create 2 new ships, and modify a couple preexisting ships and create a special "Space Dock" deck in which players can buy lower level ships from at any time. The trade off is they are not worth any points.

Otherwise, I don't think the runaway leader is that much of a problem. I have yet to see a game where a player won so badly that other felt it was unfair. Yes there is luck, but more than anything, it's good deckbuilding that wins the day.

EDIT:
I personally think it's really fun game. Well worth it, specifically if you like Star Trek, as it captures the feel nicely. Plus, with the Klingon and Borg game types as well, you can't really go wrong, as each of the three games plays completely different. I'd have bought it for the co-op alone really... But then again, I love Star Trek. ^^;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
East Fallowfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the new version Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series. The mission deck is different. There are no ship upgrades and the game is pretty balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I already have this game...

Joshua, what do you think of simply substituting the ships from the Next Phase into this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.