Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Tanner
United States
Severn
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've been looking at getting this game for a bit now, have just been kind of waiting to find a deal on it...

I am curious if there are any differences between the original first print run of the game (I guess when DoW produced it) and any later reprints (if there have been any) by FFG or DoW? I ask because I've been looking at a copy but it is a first run print of the game.

Thanks for any info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no FFG version of the base game.

2. Ed from DOW has different dice (less beautiful, but more durable), some less card holders (2 or 4) and consequently more room for the minis in the box (so they are probably less bent out of shape - nothing that a hot bath cant fix in any case).

So basically buy what you can get, especially if it is a version that still has an English manual (FFG sold a bunch of French copies at the end that only had online manuals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck finding a deal on Battlelore. It's out of print and pretty much sold out everywhere, even the French repurposed sets, and most important still has a fan base. You'd be lucky to find a unused/new copy at a decent price

There was only one print run. The remaining stock was transferred from Days of Wonder to Fantasy Flight Games. When the English versions sold out FFG 'repurposed' the French Language versions with English cards and sold out of the remaining stock.

Fantasy Flight wanted to reprint/reproduce Battlelore but found out that the original molds/dies were gone from the Chinese Factory. In addition the Chinese manufacturer produced the original DOW production run at a loss (to get business). FFG has stated that to do a second production run would result in a edition retailing more than $200US per set. Something they decided not to do. At least that's FFG story as to why Battlelore didn't get reprinted.

In a hopeful future Battlelore might end up with GMT games in the form of a command and color wooden medieval block version with fantasy expansions. It's future, with all the awesome already designed Richard Borg fantasy race army expansions, would be assured. Fantasy Flight Games seems to be afraid to redesign the game with wooden blocks because it might lose the firm's Ameritrash street cred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
Good luck finding a deal on Battlelore. It's out of print and pretty much sold out everywhere, even the French repurposed sets, and most important still has a fan base. You'd be lucky to find a unused/new copy at a decent price

There was only one print run. The remaining stock was transferred from Days of Wonder to Fantasy Flight Games. When the English versions sold out FFG 'repurposed' the French Language versions with English cards and sold out of the remaining stock.

Fantasy Flight wanted to reprint/reproduce Battlelore but found out that the original molds/dies were gone from the Chinese Factory. In addition the Chinese manufacturer produced the original DOW production run at a loss (to get business). FFG has stated that to do a second production run would result in a edition retailing more than $200US per set. Something they decided not to do. At least that's FFG story as to why Battlelore didn't get reprinted.

In a hopeful future Battlelore might end up with GMT games in the form of a command and color wooden medieval block version with fantasy expansions. It's future, with all the awesome already designed Richard Borg fantasy race army expansions, would be assured. Fantasy Flight Games seems to be afraid to redesign the game with wooden blocks because it might lose the firm's Ameritrash street cred.

So I am very lucky to have received a copy for my bithday last saturday?!?!
Nice game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the repurposed French copies did not contain a rule book. You were required to print a PDF on your own. It sounds like you got one of the original copies with the English rule book. Good find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Severn
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys!

So there is no difference between the rulebook that is online and the one that comes with the original print run of the game?

Finding a deal lately has not been too bad, it seems several copies on eBay (and even here on the marketplace) are going for at or below the original retail. I guess they aren't in new/sealed shape though, but so long as everything is in great shape and no pieces are missing I don't mind that much =).

It seems (at a glance anyways) that most of the expansions are still pretty easy to find. Are there any that are getting harder to get a hold of, or any "must have" ones that I should snag if I can? Or am I relatively safe just taking my time on getting those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Milford
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bktanner wrote:
Are there any that are getting harder to get a hold of, or any "must have" ones that I should snag if I can? Or am I relatively safe just taking my time on getting those?

There are a lot of posts right here in this forum dealing with those issues in great detail. I highly recommend checking them out. Hundred Years War is probably one of the most sought after and the hardest to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP: if the price is "fair", buy it. I have a 1st ed game, and it's fine. Hunting for a "deal" on an OOP game is more trouble than its worth.

Expansion-wise, I'd suggest the FFG Dwarf & Goblin "horde" boxes, along with Creatures & Dragons and Call to Arms for a proper "fanasy" theme, or else the FFG humans set for more of a "historical" theme.

While there are lots of other expansions, you won't miss them if you've got a critical mass of core stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Avery
Idaho
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
bktanner wrote:
Finding a deal lately has not been too bad, it seems several copies on eBay (and even here on the marketplace) are going for at or below the original retail. I guess they aren't in new/sealed shape though, but so long as everything is in great shape and no pieces are missing I don't mind that much =).

You're right, a used copy can still be found for $40-$60 (below MSRP) + shipping on eBay. It's certainly not free, but it can be found for less than the exorbitant costs you occasionally see it going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.