Subject: Something doesn't make sense- please explain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all
I now have my copy of this and I want to play it tomorrow.
BUT

I can't remember a game when I've kept my order card a secret.
In fact in most games the order cards are revealed first to someone, before the luggage is searched.

Sooooo how is a traitor going to remain anonymous? Someone will say 'he's the traitor' someone else will check him or the revealer and that's that.

I have to assume we're playing incorrectly.

How has this worked for the rest of you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, first rule in secret identity games is... you do NOT state other player's identity

No seriously, in my group it would be unthinkable that someone right away after looking at someone's identity simply revealed it. There are some games where it's acceptable, like Werewolf games or BattleStar Galactica, but in this one it's taboo, if other players want to know who is who, they first have to win a fight! (Or with the expansion use some of the driver's abilities)

Hope the insight shed some light Althou it's true, the traitor won't remain hidden for the entire duration of the game, except to someone who is completely lost; from then on his task is to keep a balance between the factions so as to none of them wins before sunrise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Basauri
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
Even if it is discovered, he can negotiate with both sides, it is for his advance that the games takes longer (so the event deck can exhaust)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkS0uL wrote:
Well, first rule in secret identity games is... you do NOT state other player's identity

No seriously, in my group it would be unthinkable that someone right away after looking at someone's identity simply revealed it. There are some games where it's acceptable, like Werewolf games or BattleStar Galactica, but in this one it's taboo, if other players want to know who is who, they first have to win a fight! (Or with the expansion use some of the driver's abilities)

Hope the insight shed some light Althou it's true, the traitor won't remain hidden for the entire duration of the game, except to someone who is completely lost; from then on his task is to keep a balance between the factions so as to none of them wins before sunrise!

I hear what you're saying and that's how we play it. That is with 2 orders, but introduce someone who's trying to get both teams? My point is why protect the traitor's identity once you know it?

I was curious whether when other people play you never let anyone win duels and protect identities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, when you already know a couple of your mates, and the traitor, it might be good play to keep people you know are in the opposing faction in the dark regarding... pretty much everything as far as possible. By having them tieing in combat or outright losing, so yeah... there are instances where I see players defending the traitor willingly.

Besides that, as already mentioned, the hiding game by the traitor isn't the central aspect of his play.

As a sidenote, in my 3 games this far, 2 of them where won by the traitor, once arriving to the end of the journey on sunset, the other one by declaring victory with 3 objects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Helms
Denmark
flag msg tools
You're only supposed to communicate through the cards and actions, as stated by the designer in the FAQ - so it would be cheating to announce which order you belong to, just like it would be to announce that someone is the traitor, etc.

So yes, if you have person A stating that person B is the traitor, then you aren't play the game as it was supposed to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.