Hide
2 Posts

Crossbows and Catapults» Forums » General

Subject: Courtyard Variants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
American Cheese
msg tools
So I vaguely remember the Christmas that my brother received C&C. The box is long gone but somewhere along the line the game was handed down to me. The odd thing is that I have way more pieces than what came with the original 1983 Lakeside set. I basically have close to double everything and I remember always playing with two towers per side.

My question is about the Courtyards. I have two sets. One is a thicker stock of vinyl/paper and the other is much more thin and flimsy. It's not a reproduction but it's much more flimsy than the original that I remember. Is it possible to determine if this is a variant or possibly produced by another company?

There are no identifying marks on either Courtyard variant.

/edit: my Mom did a lot shopping at garage sales to help stretch a buck when I was younger. It's quite possible that she bought two sets that had been combined into one box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Hill
msg tools
The flimsier courtyards are the original Lakeside design. Later other manufacturer(s) printed them on heavier stock. The Base Toys version of the Grand Battleset for one, but maybe others.

Alga (Brio) who produced the Swedish version of the game "Barbarernas sista kamp" had completely different art for the courtyards, in which the castle grounds are depicted as being at the top of formidable cliffs.

One more little oddity - have you noticed that the corners of one side of the courtyards are angled (the top, from the perspective of the treasure)? I have always wondered what that was about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.