Popular Tags: [View All]
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a proud new owner of Steam & Steam Barrons, & Map Expansion #1. I just finished punching and sorting and was thinking...

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I need BGG verification before I combine all the tiles as it seems that it would be a a pain to sort out after. Can all the expansion tiles be combined with the base game's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ramirez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what the official ruling is, but I did. And I haven't had any problems. Sure, I may have extras of this or that tile, but whatever.... the game has other, certainly more interesting, ways to screw with my brain than tile count limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did as well. I had no problems either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any problem with it.

I didn't mix the tiles for Steam: Map Expansion #1 since the tiles had a different combination of sides than in the original game. For example: in the base game a straight piece always has a wide curve on the back. In the map expansion, sometimes the wide curves would have something else on the back, so it made it a bit confusing to find the tiles you're looking for.

In Steam Barons, there doesn't seem to be this problem. (Interestingly enough, I just noticed the "wide-turn" town tiles in the base game were drawn as a straight piece bent in the middle, whereas Steam Barons has these drawn as a real curve with a town on top. Weird. Functionally the same, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, the official position was that the tiles in Steam were NOT supposed to be limited. Age of Steam (or 18xx) purists might not have liked that decision, but it was something the designer considered when creating Steam. If the tiles aren't supposed to be limited, it follows that you can freely mix the tile sets together, as the full tile set was always meant to be 100% available 100% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
dooof wrote:
I don't see any problem with it.

I didn't mix the tiles for Steam: Map Expansion #1 since the tiles had a different combination of sides than in the original game. For example: in the base game a straight piece always has a wide curve on the back. In the map expansion, sometimes the wide curves would have something else on the back, so it made it a bit confusing to find the tiles you're looking for.

In Steam Barons, there doesn't seem to be this problem. (Interestingly enough, I just noticed the "wide-turn" town tiles in the base game were drawn as a straight piece bent in the middle, whereas Steam Barons has these drawn as a real curve with a town on top. Weird. Functionally the same, though.)

Funny, I just noticed the nuances in the Steam: Map Expansion #1 tiles as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.