War Nyfitsa
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say a vehicle gets activated by an Assault order and starts moving towards an infantry unit.

So the chain of events is the following:

1) Vehicle expends MP to move into the infantry hex
2) Infantry gets to Op-Fire since the opponent expended MP's and the op-fire mode is melee combat since both units share the same hex. if multiple infantry units share the same hex they ALL get to op-fire (melee against the tank) one at a time.
3) tanks uses 1 MP to melee the infantry
4) surviving infantry get to op-fire back as per step 2. that is ALL surviving infantry get to melee back the tank (assuming they are not spent of course)
5) the luckiest tank in the world gets to leave the infantry hex (assuming it has survived so far and has enough MP's to either backtrack at triple MP cost, or turn and leave).
6) infantry (and other units possibly) op-fire the tank at the adjacent hex (direct fire now) if the have AP firepower.

am i doing something wrong here?

cause it seems SUICIDAL to charge infantry with tanks alone...

thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
Brazil
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsentaris wrote:
Let's say a vehicle gets activated by an Assault order and starts moving towards an infantry unit.

So the chain of events is the following:

1) Vehicle expends MP to move into the infantry hex
2) Infantry gets to Op-Fire since the opponent expended MP's and the op-fire mode is melee combat since both units share the same hex. if multiple infantry units share the same hex they ALL get to op-fire (melee against the tank) one at a time.
3) tanks uses 1 MP to melee the infantry
4) surviving infantry get to op-fire back as per step 2. that is ALL surviving infantry get to melee back the tank (assuming they are not spent of course)
5) the luckiest tank in the world gets to leave the infantry hex (assuming it has survived so far and has enough MP's to either backtrack at triple MP cost, or turn and leave).
6) infantry (and other units possibly) op-fire the tank at the adjacent hex (direct fire now) if the have AP firepower.

am i doing something wrong here?

cause it seems SUICIDAL to charge infantry with tanks alone...

thanks in advance

As far as your sequence goes, I would add that not only the units in the tanks' hex can OP fire, but ALL your other units in hexes that are in LOS of the tank can do so as well (assuming they have AP firepower and are not spent, of course).

All I know about war I learned on BGG but people around here (in several tactical games' forums) say that charging a tank alone against infantry tends to end badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
War Nyfitsa
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so you're implying that any unit (friend or foe) can fire into a hex where a melee battle is evolving? (assuming of course that it has an appropriate weapon against an appropriate enemy target, in the above case, something with an AP weapon against the tank).

let us also suppose that in the above example we have a defending tank accompanying the two infantry in the melee hex and some friendly tank in some other hex (in LOS & range of the melee hex of course) fires an AP attack in step 2 (op fires against the enemy tank that is entering the hex). i suppose that this attack will effect BOTH the enemy AND the friendly tank (units with hard armor) so both these vehicle will get to roll a defense roll against the attack roll, correct?

thanks again for helping me clarify this case! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
Quote:
so you're implying that any unit (friend or foe) can fire into a hex where a melee battle is evolving?

You're putting artificial criteria on a situation that needs none. Any unspent unit (with correct FP, LOS, range, etc.) may op fire on an enemy unit that just expended MPs. If the op firing unit is in the same hex as its target, it uses the melee procedure. If the op firing unit is in a different hex than its target, it uses the direct fire procedure.

I'd rarely if ever charge a single tank into a hex with multiple combat-capable enemy units. You do that, you deserve to get shot up. laugh

Quote:
let us also suppose that in the above example we have a defending tank accompanying the two infantry in the melee hex and some friendly tank in some other hex (in LOS & range of the melee hex of course) fires an AP attack in step 2 (op fires against the enemy tank that is entering the hex). i suppose that this attack will effect BOTH the enemy AND the friendly tank (units with hard armor) so both these vehicle will get to roll a defense roll against the attack roll, correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
Brazil
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsentaris wrote:
so you're implying that any unit (friend or foe) can fire into a hex where a melee battle is evolving? (assuming of course that it has an appropriate weapon against an appropriate enemy target, in the above case, something with an AP weapon against the tank).

Yes, but OP fire can only be done by the inactive player. So, in your example, if you control the Assaulting tank, only enemy units get to OP fire at you. Of course, you could fire inside that hex with another Assaulting unit later in the same order, or issue a Fire order later in the turn and fire inside that hex.

In short, you can always fire into any hex, no matter if occupied by friend, foe, both, or none. The firepower chosen (AP or HE) will determine which units will be affected, both friendly and enemy.

lordsentaris wrote:

Correct.

lordsentaris wrote:
thanks again for helping me clarify this case!
meeple

You're welcome. Keep playing this game, teach your friends, tell people about it! We need to get more people to play this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
War Nyfitsa
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you both!

Chad congratulations on producing a great game, keep up the good work, we are already waiting for the 2nd game in this very interesting series!

Cheers! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was dangerous historically for a tank to enter into close range with infantry, and in the game, there is very little reason to do so. Park your tank 1 hex away and take your shot with D12s. It's just a better way to go. Short of trying to take care of a position where the infantry unit has been suppressed, there just isn't a good reason to venture into the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.