Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

when a unit charges another Unit, in the enemis front,
the charging unit gets: +1 die, and a kind of first strike ability, completely decimating the enemy unit, before it can strike back.

Why is this happening?
Why aren't wounds just allocated to the defending unit, then strike back, and then remove casualties from all combatants?

Seems that getting the charge is very imbalanced?

am i missing something?

thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest it is meant to represent the shock of the charge - that the defenders will not get a chance to strike back until their lines have already been hit.

Makes more sense with cavalry charges that with infantry - don't have my cards with me to see if only cavalry units get the "strike first" bonus on the charge, but it certainly seems right.

I guess these Elves aren't as fast as the ones at the start of the Fellowship of the Ring film!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuart is right, it represents the shock of a charge. I've thought in the past that only one of the bonuses should apply (either +1 die or first strike) to weaken the advantage but I don't strictly think it's necessary.

Pocket Battles does not technically distinguish between cavalry and infantry, not explicitly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Pocket Battles does not technically distinguish between cavalry and infantry, not explicitly.

For the non-gamers, this means that you don't have specific rules for infantry or rules for cavalry, but you have traits (example: "Fast").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
Hello!

when a unit charges another Unit, in the enemis front,
the charging unit gets: +1 die, and a kind of first strike ability, completely decimating the enemy unit, before it can strike back.

Why is this happening?
Why aren't wounds just allocated to the defending unit, then strike back, and then remove casualties from all combatants?

Seems that getting the charge is very imbalanced?

am i missing something?

thanks in advance!

I believe the rules are designed this way to encourage charging, and forcing each player to strategize how to counter his opponent's advantages in charging. If the game played as you suggest (the defending unit allowed to strike back before applying casualties it's taken), the advantage of charging is much lessened (i.e. much more risk).

As designed, gameplay is much more "blunt." Attempting to take out your opponent's heavy-charging units becomes a priority. For example, if I have the Elves, and my opponent has assembled an Orc unit with 2 Bugbears and a Warlord - I will charge that unit first (before it has a chance) or will target it with my bows, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it would play better with simultaneous attack, the charger already gets +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryolacap wrote:
I think it would play better with simultaneous attack, the charger already gets +1

Just get some low point single troop units and use them as charge-food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.