Subject: Salvage, looting & wreck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laurent Lavenant
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is great, but the rules a bit hard to grasp...

Captain "Vulture" Mac-X has the following ability :
"Savager : During salvage, produce an extra 2 ore and 1 fuel."

Should we read "looting" in place of "salvage"? I didn't find any mention of a "salvage" action in the rule book (MH & PA).

By the way, how long does a pirate's wreck stay on the board?

And finally, if a player uses the "Refurbished Escape Pod", does his wreck stay in place one more turn than usual?

I know, i could have chosen another captain, but Mac-X looks terrific : the true son of Alien and the Queen of Zergs

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Core
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since no one else answers, here are my thought on this.

Bartmoss wrote:

Should we read "looting" in place of "salvage"?

I would read it as "looting", but English is not my native language. I think:

Looting: take away what the other was forced to leave (owner was force to abandon the goods)

Salvaging: take away what what the other gave up (maybe for someone to find, but no reason stated)

Bartmoss wrote:

Personally I would say it stays until forever (at least for the game), but no one who wasn't around while the pirate was destroyed has a real chance to find it anyway. So, practically, you can remove it. Maybe there are improvements in a later expansion to mark pirate wrecks or tow them somewhere.

Bartmoss wrote:
And finally, if a player uses the "Refurbished Escape Pod", does his wreck stay in place one more turn than usual?

I guess the recovery from flight in a sub-standard pod takes one turn to regain full health. So no, escaping is the same, you just lose one turn, because you where a cheap bastard.

Other thoughts anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions and I'm sure Timo will answer fairly soon.
I'm working on a combined rulebook but have to seek Timo's clarification quite often so I don't claim any authority.

My guess would be

salvage = loot

A pirate wreck has no improvements or cargo so could only be worth fuel and three ore. The amount of fuel you should be able to claim is debateable and possibly not worth recording. There is also no token to record the position of pirate wrecks.
When a pirate card is re-used any wreck would disappear anyway.
Therefore, for simplicity, I would assume that a pirate wreck has to be looted straight away or it disappears (other pirates find it quickly !!)

A wreck stays in place until the Captain returns into play. If this is delayed by an extra turn then I would think that the wreck would be available for that extra turn.

however, these are just my thoughts...
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Bartmoss wrote:
The game is great, but the rules a bit hard to grasp...

Sorry for unclear manual, fault in that is mine. At least I am aiming to make it better

Quote:

Should we read "looting" in place of "salvage"? I didn't find any mention of a "salvage" action in the rule book (MH & PA).

Yes, salvaging and looting are essentially the same thing nowadays.
There use to be separate salvage action, but we dropped that a long
while ago.

Quote:

Rules do not dictate any lenght for this. I have used three full rounds as 'houserule'.

Quote:

Yes, that is the basic idea.

Quote:
I know, i could have chosen another captain, but Mac-X looks terrific : the true son of Alien and the Queen of Zergs

I am happy to hear that you like the graphics. I'll convey these complements to Tanja who has been painting/drawing all captains (manually, mind you, not photoshopping).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.