Subject: I am thinking of making a fan expansion... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Medders
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
I was wondering from your time playing the game, what are the things you would want in another expanison to the game?

For me, I guess the first question to ask is, why this game? Frankly, I've never found a game with this kind of combat mechanic and this level of character progression, I want more from the game, and I want to fix some of the problems.

Exactly what am I thinking about in broad terms? I want content from all the video game expansions represented. I want more, more balanced dungeons, tighter gameplay, a smaller footprint, more stuff, the new classes, and a fixed PvP system.

What can I reasonably add with a fan expansion? No minis, cards sure, maybe new character sheets, tokens sure, a new class even, overlays for the game board...

For each point I'm thinking this...

To start with, a smaller footprint, the game is just massive to play with the expansion board, a regular sized dinner table simply can't accomidate it. So the expansion board is gone and with it some of the big monsters that only have quests cards on that board.

Content from each game expansion. I'm thinking of having a seperate deck for each area, something like 40 cards. One for outlands, northrend, deepholm, pandaria. We already have three dungeon decks for outlands, so it would fit to make 3 more for each of the other regions. Venturing off the main board to one of those regions just has you drawing a card and reacting to it each turn, could be quests, dungeon entrances, special rewards, etc...

The new classes could be made at the same time the existing classes are expanded, monks and death knights. I'm thinking with this amount of new places and whatnot, the level cap should jump to 8. So, it will be new abilities all around, new single piece character sheets for everyone that has the new level track. An overlay for the game board's level track that shows the new progression numbers.

Tighter gameplay, I like most elements of the game, with alternating faction turns, fate and event cards, combat, etc... We do house rule each player getting three actions already. I'm not a fan of the goal or endgame, so I think the game would work better as a victory point game. I'm thinking of another board overlay to cover the turn track and make it a circular track so the game is not set to a fixed turn schedule. Then assigning victory points to each world boss and using them all, maybe the point values could be hidden at setup. Perhaps a few new events or the expanion decks could offer alternate ways to get victory points, and the first faction to 10 wins.

There also needs to be a way to involve the opposite faction more when not their turn, so I was thinking of a new faction deck for each side that each player gets one card a turn and must play during their turn, and each card has effects that interact with all players in the game.

For PVP I'm thinking about just having a flat reduction instead of having hit tokens cancel each other out. Some testing would be needed, but I'm thinking half would be about right as I'd like PvP to last 1-2 rounds like most creature battles, this could even be tied to level and printed on the character card since I'm thinking new character sheets are needed anyhow.

Anyone know where I can get the small format cards professionally printed? Any thoughts? There are plenty of places that do regular sized cards at tolerable rates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoran Ignjatovic
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
Fanboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with this project. I'll be checking this thread with great interest, on how it progresses. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Medders
United States
Anniston
Alabama
flag msg tools
My wife is enthused about it, her first idea was to split the character sheets so you can pick your character separate from your class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion Ideas:

1) dungeon crawl expansion - I am NOT a fan of the dungeons presented in Burning Crusades.. They seem tacked on and shallow. I would LOVE to see a dungeon crawl board to be played instead of the overland board.

2) adding to dungeon crawls, have an arena or attack/defense board. PvP in the current game is very rarely used. Spend 1 action attacking a MOB and receive a reward or spend 1 action slugging it out with an enemy PC, whittling down each others health and spending/wasting items to "slow down" the opponent. To my group, the choice is simple - you risk MUCH LESS fighting the MOB than doing PvP.

3) An expansion that sets quests that EITHER side can do. This might encourage PvP play more.

4) multi-step quests that need to be completed in order. Big Boss fights that require the PC to beat 1 creature to go to another area to beat another creature etc. The reward would NOT be given until all the steps are complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.