Hide
9 Posts

The Battle for Normandy» Forums » General

Subject: Map Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Audie Radzvickas
msg tools
1. We're not certain how to treat the flooded hex sides behind Gold beach. Are units in any of the hexes bordered by those hex sides subject to the +2 DRM? Are mech units allowed in those hexes?

2. Hill 30, west of St. Mere Eglise, has markings as for farmland or bocage but the terrain at the edges of the hexes looks clear, so what is the terrain in the hex besides the hill, clear, farmland or bocage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Audierad,

We play #2 as follows:

Bocage on a hill.

Reason: The closet type of terrain is bocage and there really isn't any farmland close to it at least west of the Merderet River (there is a little farmland to the south but you would have to cross the swamp and the Douve river.

We found that the map is loaded with a bunch of these and determined this is the best route. After we determined that I searched the forums here and found that at least one other did the same although not specifically referring to "Hill 30"

It would have been much easier on game play and especially for newbies to the game/system to have listed this on the terrain chart.

In reference to #1:
I thought there was something in the rules or there was something in these forums. Perhaps it was in the errata. I'll try to find out but this was most certainly answered somewhere to the best of my knowledge.

Hope this helps!

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Audie,

1. Treat them as Flooded when crossing those hexsides (armor prohibited, etc)

2. That is bocage, hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is basically addressed in section 10.6 of the living rules and FAQ as follows:

Living Rules (version 2)

Flooded / Marsh: An infantry-type unit may move in this terrain by
using all of its MP. Mechanized and artillery units may only enter
and exit Flooded/Marsh hexes via roads. Units attacking out of a
Flooded/Marsh hex, or from one Flooded/Marsh hex to another, have
their Attack Strength halved (round Up). The attacker receives a +2
DRM if attacking into a Flooded/Marsh hex (defenders are extremely
vulnerable in this flat, wide-open terrain). Units in Flooded/Marsh
terrain in AM and PM Turns are susceptible to Mandatory Attacks
(12.3). (Hexes near Gold Beach are considered Flooded/Marsh.)

This would imply that at least hex #'s 1929, 1930, 2030 and probably 2031 are considered full Flooded/Marsh hexes and should be treated as such and maybe the graphics just wouldn't look correct if given the full terrain in it...cry

Battle for Normandy: Errata and FAQ (1-7-11) (page 3 right hand column)

10.6 How should we treat the flooded hex sides near GOLD? Is it a full MP for INF to cross? Yes.

We didn't really see much action around those hexes but we would treat with the modifiers of +2 if the movement or attack was coming from across those hex sides that are even partially covered but not from the clear sides such as hex 1931 or hex 1928 as we figured the defender was attempting to hold as much forward ground as possible. And prohibited to Mech across the hexsides that have the swamp/flood zone.

#2 again:
I took a real close look at the map and noticed that there is actually a little bit farmland on the edging of all of the bocage hexes that are near to hill 30, perhaps this one is best answered by the developer Mr. Holte? cry

A couple of us are going to look it over tonight perhaps and if our opinion changes Ill let you know.

Hope it helps, Im afraid I might have made it worse! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it has been resolved. Whew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Audie Radzvickas
msg tools
Thanks all for your responses.

Regarding #1 - still not clear regarding combat. Are units in those hexes treated as clear or flooded (+2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hexes vs. hex sides... in this case, looking at the map, this is one place where it looks like (and from what Dan said) it is really just the hex sides themselves and not the entire hex, otherwise, the entire hex would be presented that way. Rivers/streams follow hexsides (7.3.2). Hexsides are referred all over the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is some Q and A from consimworld forums about this:

Q: There are some flooded/marsh hexsides in front of Gold beach. I've searched past posts, and in one you said to treat them as hexside terrain, and in others as hex terrain. If they're hexes, are all four hexes that have the terrain symbol in them considered to be flooded/marsh?

A: correct.

Q: So mechanized units that land at King Green cannot move directly inland? They have to move along the beach before they move off?

A: Yes, they could not move through that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Coleman
United States
Geismar
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: One confusing thing about the map was whether the terrain followed a hexside or an entire hex. So with the swamp hexes behind gold beach, is it just the hex sides themselves that are impassable to just mech or is it an entire hex and if it is an entire hex, which hexes are the total swamp hexes?

A: Consider those hexes as flooded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.