$10.00
doug draa
Germany
nürnberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey all,
This might sound crazy, but could i play "Russia Besieged" using the rules to "The Russian Campaign"?

I understand that the components are not identical, but are things similar enough that i could substitute the rules by using the RB unit set up or is this a total "no go" of an idea?

TRC is my all time favorite game and sadly the L2 version is all but impossible to obtain with out having to sell one of my kidneys. RB though, is still obtainable at a price my wife won't kill me over. I want these beautiful components. Is it too crazy to expect to be able to use RB with TRC rules? I understand that I might have to adapt thing a little.

What do you all think?

Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rehn
Australia
SPIT JUNCTION
NSW
flag msg tools
Hi Doug
I don't see why you couldn't play this using the TRC rules. Some of the units have different combat/movement factors and the opening set up with military districts will be tricky due to the differing hex placements and topography, but most of the components are similar enough.
Despite these similarities, though, TRC and RB are very much different games. There is an excellent review done by David Cox (Da Pyrate) which details many of the rules variations of RB and the different way it plays. I think once you see and learn RB you might be inclined to play it as it is.
If it is any consolation, I own all the versions of TRC including the L2 4th edition and my favourite is still the AH 3rd edition. Probably more to do with nostalgia than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doug draa
Germany
nürnberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks John,

i'm also a huge fan of the RC 3rd edition. I just wanted to have the beautiful components and I can't afford any of the collectors prices being asked for the L2 editon 4th edition. I saw that I can afford Russia Besieged though, but I was intimidated by the rules. RC plays well solo and in one afternoon.
take care and happy New Year!

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Play RBS as is. Trying to play TRC rules with the RBS components will be disastrous. The Axis OOB is about the same, but the Russians get lots more units and replacements in RBS than TRC. RBS works due to more flexible Axis air power, step losses for units, a different CRT, and field marshall chits that give vital drms.

BTW TRC4 is much better than TRC3, mostly due to vastly improved weather rules. In TRC3 Mud/Snow or Clear/Clear weather in Sept and Nov '41 (1/6 chance) basically ends the game. Neither can happen in TRC4 and other adverse weather combos are less likely than in TRC3. There are other small improvements in TRC4 as well, including optional rules that make it actually possible for the Russians to win a campaign game. A good Axis player can often be held to a draw, but should never ever lose in TRC3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.