Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice that there are several places in the rule book here the designer states that the map building system is based on the 'Enigma' system...any clues as to what this is and if there are any other games that use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, this drove me crazy for several years, too. I've got the only two Enigma games I know of: Medieval & Blue vs. Gray. & I had to wait several years w/Medieval before I got Blue vs. Gray...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah..many thanks! Now I won't die wondering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, these are the two games that I know of associating with the name Enigma system. However, the similarity between the two only goes so far to the name and the fact that map tiles are utilized to reveal the whole map. Medieval is completely more random and chaotic than Blue vs. Gray as players excommunicate each other whoever gets to the Pope. In Blue vs. Gray, history is told in a deeper narrative sense. There is a rigorous OOBs in Blue vs. Gray, going along the historical line, seemingly like tracking the movements and combats of the respective Armies of both sides. With so many map tiles Euroish games out there, it is rather a common game mechanic than anything a beautiful name "Enigma" can suggest, while the term might be very appealing to the masses in the Medieval.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall there being a WWII game and something else in design. I have not heard anything about them for years.

I thought the system had more legs than what we have seen but the market apparently does not agree. I think this has something to do with a general reaction against card games following the CCG of a decade past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.