Subject: Gaming on a Budget: Temple Run Speed Sprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mb
Welcome to the third installment of Gaming on a Budget, my series of reviews specifically tailored to people with a limited budget for games. This time around I will be covering some lighter fare, Temple Run: Speed Sprint. As of this posting there are no other reviews available, so I will try and explain the rules and such in a little more depth than I usually do. So without further ado, let’s get sprinting (or perhaps a brisk walk)!

Speed Sprint is a light, fast paced filler game for 2-4 players that is played entirely with some cards and a talking ‘idol’ that instructs you as to what to play. Seriously, that’s it in the box. A handful of action cards, 4 completely unnecessary character cards, and the idol timer/announcer thingy. Despite that, the game does a decent enough job of entertaining a couple people for a few minutes.

To start the game each player takes a character card. Two player games use player 1 and 2, three player uses 1, 2, and 3, etc. There really is no distinction between players, and who is which only matters for figuring out who the idol is yelling at. Once you have a character, each player is dealt action cards. These are left, right, slide, jump, and invisibility. Then you turn on the idol to the setting for the number of players you have, and off you go.

The idol will start yelling things like “Player 1 Right!” or “Player 2 Pass!” and the indicated player must chuck one of that card into the discard pile next to the idol. If the idol tells you to pass, you must pass any one of your cards over to any other player. Invisibility can be played in place of any other card. After an instruction is yelled the indicated player has a few seconds to complete the instruction and press the top of the idol or a bad sound is played and the player must instead draw a card. The goal being to run out of cards first.

Since you only have a little time to comply with the idol after a command is yelled the game keeps up a very fast pace, with little to no down time to speak of. As frantic party fair goes it does a pretty good job of entertaining. There are a few (in my opinion) glaring problems that keep the game from really excelling. First and foremost is the irritating issue of idol favoritism. By that I mean that the idol will decide sometimes it likes one player more than the others and tell them to pass repeatedly. Since pass means your cards decrease while another player increases, and you can pass any card, this is obviously the command you want. Also, and this is pretty minor, if you are playing with two people you must be character card 1 or 2. What if I like character 4 best?

That’s really a minor gripe though, so let’s move on. There really aren’t a lot of components, with the cards being pretty flimsy and the idol earning a ‘meh’ reaction from me. Even the box is flimsy, so don’t make the mistake I did and set another game on top of it. It all honestly smacks of a corporate desire to expand the realm of a popular app in the hopes of grabbing a few extra dollars. FYI, the game is a Target ‘exclusive’.

Quality: Low. Only the idol saves it from a very low. Everything in it could be used in a picture dictionary to define flimsy. I hate over using words, but nothing else seems as fitting.

Learning Curve: Very Low. Play the card you are told, that’s pretty much the long and short of it.

Strategy/Depth: Very Low. Other than choosing which card to pass, which is generally obvious, there is none to speak of. Follow orders comrade!

Theme: Moderate. All the art is Temple Run like, and going left and right are things from the app.

Gameplay: Moderate. The high speed makes it take a bit longer for you to realize that even by filler standards there isn’t much here.

Replay: Moderate. If you space out your plays you will find yourself willing to pick it back up now and again for a quick five minute run.

The sprinters are approaching the finish line now, and the winner is…

Overall Score: 5/10
Budget Rank: Avoid It

At $12, plus or minus, this one seemed like a good bet for a high speed time killer. But honestly, this is strictly middle-of-the-road stuff. With lots of cut corners and a Target logo on the box, you have to wonder if this is really worth money that could, say, go in your gas tank. Everyone knows driving is better than sprinting to get around.

(Geeklist for GoaB can be found here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

on clearance for 3.88
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

on clearance for 3.88

$1.48 at Goodwill today. They had about a dozen copies. Stocking stuffer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.