Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi.

Ehm yeah. I like games. I like games that come with a defined set of bits and a rulebook in a nice box. I /might/ like to paint small stuff, but not as much as I like games. I don't like those collectible type games where I have to spend a gazillion bucks on moar and moar parts forever.

That said, this looks pretty cool. Would it be possible to get a defined set of stuff (two armies, I suppose?), paint them or not, put them in a box and pretend it's a board game? Like "Hey, let's play the game in this 'Power Grid' box!" "No, let's play the game in this 'Warhammer 40,000' box!"?

Is this possible (i.e., are there anything in the rules that would make this problematic)? Is it blasphemous in some way? I've tried to talk to some Warhammer people at conventions, but they always seem to think that the painting and collection is a little bit too important to make the rest of the hobby useless without it... I've never really managed to understand if it's just their personal views, or if there's some fundamental fact I'm missing.

Comments? If I were to try this out (in the way described), what parts would I need to get? Is there any pre-collected packs, or do I need to buy individual figures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There's certainly nothing stopping you from doing this. Every edition, GW puts out a boxed starter set. 6th Edition just came out this summer and with it, the Dark Vengeance Boxed Set with Dark Angels and Chaos. There are plenty of models, a small rulebook, and some starter scenarios to get you going and familiar with how the game works. The only real problem is that the learning curve for this game is rather high, making it really difficult to just pick up and play on board game night. In addition, you miss out on a lot of the aspects of the game by not including the specific army codices for each faction, as the rules included in the DV Boxed Set are pretty vanilla and designed for beginning players. Army building in regards to points values and balance is a little out of whack too. However, you can do whatever you really want. If you pick that up and have fun with it, then you're doing it right. I'm a big Warhammer/Warhammer 40k fan and I love the collecting/plastic crack aspect of it, but you make sense too.

If you want a 40k experience but with a specifically board game feel, check out Space Hulk or Horus Heresy, though the latter is less like the tabletop game and more just within the universe. Space Hulk might be exactly what you're looking for.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not blasphemous. All of the Games Workshop two-army starter sets are essentially what you speak of. They even include a short rulebook so you literally can open the box and play.

Check out Warhammer 40,000: Dark Vengeance. It includes two armies and even has dice in the box. The minis are snap together so you do not require glue. I believe the only things you'll need are a measuring tape and a table.

You don't need to follow the hype of constant expansion. Enjoy the game and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonman wrote:
The minis are snap together so you do not require glue.

You'll definitely need glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How balanced are the armies in Warhammer 40,000: Battle for Macragge and Warhammer 40,000: Assault On Black Reach ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My old Warhammer boxed set of Imperials vs Lizardmen was pretty well balanced it seemed and it was all in one box. You really didnt need any more if that was enough for you. The more casual you play the less reliant on more units you will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.