Subject: I just keep being surprised when I play this game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have played Cutthroat Caverns five times so far, and in every single game, something very unexpected happens. I'm not just talking about someone playing an action card unexpectedly. I'm talking about something much more.

So the first time I played it was just the base game. 6 of us played. It was an even game, and I only killed two of the encounters. I was able to kill the eight or ninth encounter, and when the game ended, I didn't even realize I had one by 1 point since the later encounters give out 5 bonus prestige. What a win!

My second game was with Relics and Ruins, and 4 players, which was a lot of fun. We got the Wereboar as our second encounter, but the person who was attacked didn't become a wereboar. During the ninth encounter, a friend of mine should have won the game, but didn't because he wanted to extend the time it took to kill the monster. Him and someone else were killed, and I ended up winning, even though I didn't have too much prestige. NICE!

My third game was again with Relics and Ruins, and 5 players. The Wereboar came out again, and damaged three of us on Encounter 3. My friend who should have won the second game was beating us by at least 10 prestige and clearly won the game in the end. But then we remembered to flip our wereboar cards while starting to clean up, and he was the Wereboar! His prestige was for naught, and we killed him. I had the second most prestige and won again! Even when I thought I lost, I still won. Crazy!

My fourth game was with Tombs and Tomes as well, and had 4 of us. This game didn't have such a twist on it, but I won by very little yet again. Stealing two relics worth 7 prestige definitely made the difference. I guess the craziest part of this game was the event that brought 4 relics to life that attacked us. I was like "Come on. Even the relics are killing us? Die relics!" We also had the Hive encounter, which took at least 20 minutes to kill completely, and the Master Swordsman that game one of my friends at least 50 damage. Poor guy.

And my 5th game, which I played yesterday, was finally when I lost. When we got to the ninth encounter, my friend who turned into a wereboar previously joked that it was that. When we flipped it over, it was the wereboar! But my two friends didn't take a chance of it attacking, and violently destroyed it. He finally did win a game of Cutthroat Caverns. Congrats!

Of course, there were many other surprising events that occurred like when Gasbag blew up in my face since my friend made it explode, but made me take the hit. Or maybe when I failed to play "My Hero" on someone, but another was able to play "Human Shield" on him. HAHA. That was such a hilarious move. My friend was going to take the hit for us whether he liked it or not. Then there was the time when I had the potion that would give me no damage during the encounter, and the encounter was the guy who allows players to attack each other for 5 more damage every time until someone stops. I was like "Sure attack me, which will reset the damage, but I'll still attack one of you guys".

So all in all, I really love this game for it's unpredictable factor. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw when we set the encounters, but I think it's more than just coincidence. I highly recommend this game if you want to cooperate and compete at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.