Subject: Use expansion or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked up the game and the expansion. Should we include the expansion from the begining and learn the game with it or play the base game a few times first? From looking at the rules for both, the expansion doesn't seem to add much complexity to the rules but I'm unsure about game play. Any tips for the first game?

Also,should I be concerned that my wife wants to play as Mordor? sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play at least one game without the expansion to grasp some of the original strategy before adding in more. There is a lot to remember is this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyscott1 wrote:
Just picked up the game and the expansion. Should we include the expansion from the begining and learn the game with it or play the base game a few times first?

I'd play it through once or twice without the expansion first. After you understand all the rules, then you can add in more complexity and decisions.

Cyscott1 wrote:

Absolutely devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say play the base game alone first. I've played 17 games without the expansion. I think I might be ready for it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
badge
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
mbmbmbmbmb
If neither of you have played before, I would leave out the entire expansion for at least your first game.

Once you are comfortable with the rules, which might take more than one game, go ahead and add the expansion, but consider leaving out the optional Council of Rivendell for at least one play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
badge
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Cyscott1 wrote:

Absolutely devil

If your wife is militarily aggressive, you should be concerned for the freedom of Middle-earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the dissenting voice. There's no need to rush to dessert - enjoy each course! There is a lot of nuance in the strategy and tempo and the base game packs plenty of punch. The expansion is like having a few more sauces to season the dish or add unexpected flavors.

As mentioned above, there is a lot to keep track of as you learn WotR, so in your shoes I would not rush to add in the expansion. The base game is in no way deficient without the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replys. I wasn't sure if this might be a case of the game being more complete with the expansion like with some games. The complexity isn't a big deal since we play other complex games. We'll give the base game a go next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
badge
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyscott1 wrote:
Thank you for the replys. I wasn't sure if this might be a case of the game being more complete with the expansion like with some games. The complexity isn't a big deal since we play other complex games. We'll give the base game a go next weekend.

The second edition is balanced, so the expansion only adds more strategic options, and does not attempt to fix anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
badge
D'Anna's Favorite Human!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
I'll be the dissenting voice.

Who are you dissenting with? Everyone seems to agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
Rafamir wrote:
I'll be the dissenting voice.

Who are you dissenting with? Everyone seems to agree with you.

Ah yes, I see. OP is asking how to play their first game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 7 normal game with a friend, We dont plan on using the expansion until we get at least 10 games played. I would suggest the same to any new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the game 2 times so far. One game with the expansion. The first game took us about 6 hours after reading the rules a couple of times. I like the expansion game better as it offers more options in the early part of the game for both sides. The end game seems about the same with or without the expansion. I honestly can't see what else they would add to the game without making it too heavy. It will be quite a job to make 2 more expansions as they plan and live up to the quality game as it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.