Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: 2nd Annual Print n Play Awards - 2012 - Nominations now open! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi PnP guys out there. Last year I started doing our own little PnP awards for the games WE, the PnP community thought were the best games of the year. Want to read about last years post it's right here.

As I said last year I feel this is different from the BGG Golden Geeks as this is going to be totally custom done by us the people who design, craft and play PnP games. It's our awards for the games we love to make and play. Last year I started late, got behind then went even later in getting things finalized but I am making a real effort to do things in a more timely manner this go around. Starting off with posting this NOW...yes I know the year's not over but that's how all these award thingies goes now isn't it?

The nomination phase (what we are doing now) will reamin open for a full 2 weeks. That means all nominating of games will end on December 24th hereby extended so final date is now Monday, January 7th, 2013. Everyone's probably got things to do on that day anyway and the next as well so no big deal right?

To nominate simply respond to this thread and list your nominations for each category. Just hit quote and erase all this stuff and put your nominations under the appropriate heading. PLEASE NOTE it's important that when you nominate a game you in fact DO tell me what category you are nominating it for. It's perfectly OK for you to nominate a game in several categories if you feel it truly lives up to all those in question. OR if you prefer to keep your nominations a little more...under wraps, you can certainly geekmail them to me. PLEASE put "2012 PnP Awards Nominations" as your subject line though. Thanks.

We will be giving out GG awards to the game designers who win in each category. This GG will come from the pool of gold tipped to this thread and the thread I create to hose the polls. This means the prize pots will not be determined until the winners are announced. If you wish to donate GG to the prize pots you may feel free to do so here and/or on the poll thread when it's created. As the tips given in these threads will be public knowledge you will know that the gold you tip does indeed make it to the winners. I'm a pretty honest guy like that.

Just like I stated last year, I intend to do this each year I want the awards to be year specific. That means all nominations must be games that were designed and are stated in the BGG database as being cited as 2012 as their design year. Please try and make sure the games you nominate are indeed from the year 2012. I know some great games came out in previous years, yeah I love them too but we are focusing on one year...2012.

Finally I would like to say that last year this was a very cool little thing that took place. The designers who won were quite pleased and even mailed me to let me know that it was an honor and did in fact bring some attention to their game(s). So our efforts in this are both appreciated and effective.

Thank you for taking the time to nominate, subscribe to this thread if you wish to be a part of the voting when I post the polls thread.

For a list of all the PnP games "published" to BGG during the 2012 year Click Here.

The categories for nominations are:

2012 PnP Game of the Year:

Best PnP Solitare Game:

Best PnP Family Game:

Best PnP Wargame:

Best PnP 2 Player Game:

Best PnP Abstract Game (Must have no theme attached):

Best PnP Easy Craft Game (1-3 pages Max. for components):

Best PnP Intermediate Game (4-9 pages Max. for components):

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components):

Best Game Retheme for PnP:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. How should we submit our nominations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

thoia wrote:
To nominate simply respond to this thread and list your nominations for each category. Just hit quote and erase all this stuff and put your nominations under the appropriate heading. PLEASE NOTE it's important that when you nominate a game you in fact DO tell me what category you are nominating it for. It's perfectly OK for you to nominate a game in several categories if you feel it truly lives up to all those in question. OR if you prefer to keep your nominations a little more...under wraps, you can certainly geekmail them to me. PLEASE put "2012 PnP Awards Nominations" as your subject line though. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

For a PnP maker, you're astonishingly bad at reading and following instructions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Killing Joke wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

thoia wrote:

Righy-oh. That's what I get for trying to browse BGG while watching Doctor Who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): Lawn Mayhem

Can I nominate my own game too?

It's available both for order through The Game Crafter, or as free PnP.. I don't know if this disqualifies it?

Also, it's a party game (doesn't really fit in any of the categories), and the number of pages to print depends on the number of people playing (so could be both Intermediate or Expert (6 players).

But for the full game, my nomination would be:

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): What Do You Meme: The Meme Party Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
Also, it's a party game (doesn't really fit in any of the categories),

I just added a new category to the nominations list of Best PnP Family Game IIRC last year that was suggested afterwards and I forgot to add it so it's there now. I think it would fit in that category. The way I did it last year is that in order for a game to clear the nominations round it had to have at least 2 nominations. This kept it so every single game didn't get listed and put through. This threshold may go up to 3 nominations this year if I receive enough nominations to make that work but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagri Akyurt
Turkey
Istanbul
Uskudar
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 PnP Game of the Year: YOU are the Maniac!

Best PnP Solitare Game: Until Dawn

Best PnP Easy Craft Game (1-3 pages Max. for components): Until Dawn

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): Inception: Solo card game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
I have crushed the Pirates of the Dark Star in combat!
badge
The Nemesis Beast is my puppy dog!
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 PnP Game of the Year: Ars Victor

Best PnP Solitare Game: Oh my Lair

Best PnP Family Game: Pokemon of D

Best PnP Wargame: Ars Victor

Best PnP 2 Player Game: Paiko

Best PnP Easy Craft Game (1-3 pages Max. for components): Fall of the Titans

Best PnP Intermediate Game (4-9 pages Max. for components): Tactical Conflict

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): Ars Victor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question about Best Game Retheme for PnP:
Does this mean;
1. Best 2012 retheme of an existing game published in 2012
OR
2. Best 2012 retheme of an existing game published in any year

Unfortunately a quick search could not find an example of situation 1.
However for situation 2.
The "The Remainder" is a 2012 retheme of a 2011 game Dark Moon

Sorry for being a pain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not being a pain and good question. #2 is the goal here...best PnP retheme of 2012 of any existing game. This category sometimes doesn't have a lot to nominate but sometimes there's a rush on these. Who knows we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zomani
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 PnP Game of the Year: Saprobiont

Best PnP Solitare Game: Until Dawn

Best PnP Family Game: Pinza De Ropa

Best PnP Wargame: Ars Victor

Best PnP 2 Player Game: Die, Robot, Die!

Best PnP Easy Craft Game (1-3 pages Max. for components): Saprobiont

Best PnP Intermediate Game (4-9 pages Max. for components): Shadows Upon Lassadar: Siege at Dalnish

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): Zombies & Zeppelins

I don't really play Abstract games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 PnP Game of the Year: Shadow Agent

Best PnP Solitare Game: Inception: Solo card game

Best PnP Wargame: Saprobiont (Files link appears to have broken, which is sad)

Best PnP 2 Player Game: Fall of the Titans

Best PnP Easy Craft Game (1-3 pages Max. for components): Gameshop Workday

Best PnP Intermediate Game (4-9 pages Max. for components): Nimbles the Spell Thief (May be a stretch, but one only TECHNICALLY needs the 7 pages of tiles to construct the Wizard's Academy)

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): Star Requiem: Humanity's Last Stand

Best Game Retheme for PnP: Western in my Pocket

Best PnP Expansion: Outcasts (fan expansion for BattleCON)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:

If you try the other link for more Information you can reach the complete game pack download link, in the middle of the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaunGamer wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

If you try the other link for more Information you can reach the complete game pack download link, in the middle of the page.

Ah, excellent. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Best PnP Solitare Game: Shadows Upon Lassadar: Siege at Dalnish

Best PnP 2 Player Game: Icarus Twins

Best PnP Wargame: Advance Guard 1914

Best PnP Abstract Game (Must have no theme attached): Aion: A Game Of Serpents

Best PnP Intermediate Game (4-9 pages Max. for components): Conquest of the Skies (pushing the component number slightly but at 2 hexes to a page...)

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components): Shadow Agent

Best Game Retheme for PnP: The Hammer of Thor: The Game of Norse Mythology (i realize this might be slightly selfgrandizing but nominating it all the same)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one get all of the files for The Icarus Twins? All I see on the game page are some graphics files in the gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
How does one get all of the files for The Icarus Twins? All I see on the game page are some graphics files in the gallery.

Nick has apparently submitted the files to be added to the BGG page, but for now they're available in the first post of this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/882199/icarus-twins-pnp-read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best PnP Solitare Game: (Your Name Here) and the Argonauts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we please have a link to the geeklist/thread detailing last year's winners? thanks!

Also, according to the rules I can't vote for Eight minute Empire yet, can I? I backed it for $1 to access the PnP version.

CRC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CapnRedChops wrote:
Can we please have a link to the geeklist/thread detailing last year's winners? thanks!

Also, according to the rules I can't vote for Eight minute Empire yet, can I? I backed it for $1 to access the PnP version.

CRC

The 2011 Print 'n Play Awards - Winners

...and you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best PnP 2 Player Game: Hoops on Fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
-- -- doesitplay -- -- Boardgame reviews coming soon !
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 PnP Game of the Year: Shadows Upon Lassadar: Siege at Dalnish
Best PnP Solitare Game: Dice of Arkham
Best PnP Family Game: Crush Monster Rampage!
Best PnP Intermediate Game (4-9 pages Max. for components): Light Speed
since apparently this has been (re)released in 2012 and I just build it and quite enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Loop
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 PnP Game of the Year: Shadows Upon Lassadar: Siege at Dalnish

Best PnP Solitare Game: Paul Rohrbaugh A Reign of Missiles: The Gaza Missile Crisis, November 2012 Presented in Foreign Policy Magazine is presenting, talked about in We need your help to playtest a Gaza wargame, with updated graphics at http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd77a4d

Best PnP Family Game:

Best PnP Wargame: The whole Recession Series Games: http://www.labataille.me/Recession_Series_Games.html La Bataille de Möckern 1813, La Bataille de Raszyn 1809, La Bataille de Wiederitzsch 1813.

Best PnP Abstract Game (Must have no theme attached): TBD

Best PnP Easy Craft Game (1-3 pages Max. for components): Saprobiont

Best PnP Expert Game (10+ pages for components):PitLane

Best Game Retheme for PnP: Star Smuggler

Best PnP Expansion: Crush Monster Rampage!

SPecial shout out to the trend of offering PnP vesions on crowd sources games sites like Kickstarter; my favorite from those offerings: Skyline

There are a few games I haven't checkedout on the nominations list, thanks for gringing them to my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
-- -- doesitplay -- -- Boardgame reviews coming soon !
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Loop wrote:

Isn't Light Speed an older game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.