World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: 3 way competition *Need Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daman whodaman
msg tools
Hi,
I want to setup a 3 way competition.
I was thinking each player starts with 2 characters but then i am stuck on if its possible to have this competition setup....

Any ideas to have 3 different groups fight to level up and kill the overlord. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks and many dwarven cheers;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mbmbmb
Couldn't you just combine the two factions' quest cards, and assign individual quests to each player? or just assign the same quests to all 3 players to go after together?

Don't see why it wouldn't work.

All players start in the centre of map, no pvp in first six turns, move turn marker as normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
sorry can you explain it. I do not clearly understand what you mean.

Couldn't you just combine the two factions' quest cards, and assign individual quests to each player? or just assign the same quests to all 3 players to go after together?

When you say center of map.. on alliance or horde side or...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
Hi,
I want to setup a 3 way competition.
I was thinking each player starts with 2 characters but then i am stuck on if its possible to have this competition setup....

Any ideas to have 3 different groups fight to level up and kill the overlord. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks and many dwarven cheers;

Consider the following:

1. Each person takes 1 character (of either faction).
2. Players turn over a number of quests equal to the number of players on the faction side x 2. Players may not complete quests that are not of their faction (unless the event card that allows that sort of thing comes up)
3. Players can discard one of their own faction quests by taking a town action and paying 5 gold or 1 xp. Any neutral monsters that were spawned by the quest card remain. You may not discard a faction quest that is located in the same space as another character (of that faction).
4. Divide the overlord's health by 2 (round up).

Issues: Some quests are downright difficult for single characters to handle. In this case, you can use the same rules as above, but each character takes 2 characters at the beginning instead of one. In this case do not use #4.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Instead of choosing between Orc and "non-orc" (sorry can't remember terminology in this universe) just mix them into a single deck of grey/yellow/blue/green. Then each player draw from those "mixed" decks. Each chracter and quest is neutral trait rather than Orc/non-orc. I presume that your problem is only have two factions in the game so this solution just makes one faction and all players are it.

Alternatively, just play as per the rules i.e. one player plays 4 characters and the other 2 each (IIRC)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Gave me an idea.. let me know if its acceptable..
Keeping majority of rules as same..

1. the 3 players take vote which faction to play
2. each of the 3 players choose 2 characters to play as
3. main objective is to be the first to slay overlord
4. This means no PvP and some event cards will be discarded...

Play the game with 2 characters which should be strong to beat the overlord with..
Is this acceptable rules to play-through with? Or i need add or modify something.
Thanks.

**Only concern is how many quests EACH player takes of grey green or...

In response to "Brother Leon":
I think 2 characters for each player does it but just the starting layout is the concern.. the gameplay itself doesnt need any changes i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drakkonblade wrote:
Gave me an idea.. let me know if its acceptable..
Keeping majority of rules as same..

1. the 3 players take vote which faction to play
2. each of the 3 players choose 2 characters to play as
3. main objective is to be the first to slay overlord
4. This means no PvP and some event cards will be discarded...

Play the game with 2 characters which should be strong to beat the overlord with..
Is this acceptable rules to play-through with? Or i need add or modify something.
Thanks.

**Only concern is how many quests EACH player takes of grey green or...

In response to "Brother Leon":
I think 2 characters for each player does it but just the starting layout is the concern.. the gameplay itself doesnt need any changes i think.

Standard rules say 4 active quests in a 4 player game. Since there are going to effectively be 2 players in a single faction (competitively), consider having 6 active quests for that side, and 4 for the other. This is a lot of NPCs on the board, but there needs to be ample opportunities for both sides.

The only problem here is two groups of players competing for the same quests - I would modify this so that the first group within a faction to act would start with less gold - or potentially the player groups switch off starting player during the faction turn.

Sorry if I'm not more help - but this seems to be a significant change to the game - and no mod is going to be guaranteed to provide a good experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
actually did think of a good mod for this without breaking the overall rule of game...

3 players each choose 2 characters to play as...

the ONLYissue to know is how many quests to give EACH player for them to do...

So in the end there be lots of NPC but each will have their starting quests to work with,....dont know if explaining right to you

**main purpose is to quest up and level up and KILL the overlord first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 for each player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
ty.
so 2 grey and 1 green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, there's a few obstacles here.
1/ Three players causes an imbalance for horde vs alliance.
2/ Two players on same faction but not on same team.
2a/ This causes quests to be harder, and PVP to be riskier, for these two.
3/ game turns, when each player is individual but you have three teams breaks the synergies of the turn track. But I'd ignore this.

I would do the following.

1. Join Horde and Alliance decks together, but keep separate by colour.
2. Each player begins at game start by choosing ONE Horde champion, and ONE Alliance champion (but not the same class).
3. All champions begin in their proper faction home. If you can get your champions together, they can work together.
4. Each player draws one green and two black quests at the start of the game. These might (by random chance) be either horde or alliance.
You can only achieve your own quests. Keep them in front of the player who drew them. Each player always has three active quests.
5. Each player gets his own "faction turn" for his two champs, but the turn marker moves forward once for every player. (So after everyone has had one turn, it will be turn 4.)
This will possibly be an inconvenience for player 3, if events or such work against him. If so, give him +2 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Amazing idea and was thinking of that.

1. There wont be PVP so that takes out that issue.
2. Purpose is to be the first to slay the overlord and that takes the other issue.

3. I was thinking if makes sense with you...
- After all players have played then you move on track OR the track moves as each player does his turn...

- Also there is a variant within the rulebook "of slay the overlord" which removed pvp and allows the track to persist...

Let me know on thoughts above but pretty much with your idea i think its balanced and no overall major game rulez are broken IF the purpose as mentioned; "of slay the overlord"

Thanks for your wisdom on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind, the purpose of the game has always been slaying the overlord.

If you want to remove pvp that's entirely up to you, I don't think it makes or breaks the game either way, especially if every player has one champion beginning in each starting region.
(The threat is always there that if your strong champ attacks my weak champ, I could always retalliate with my strong champ against yours.)

People will be more interested in joining their champs together than inconvenient early game pvp I think.

The only (tiny) issue with "all players moving and then move the turn track" is when you draw an event and it says "the player whose turn it is" ... that will always be the same player.
Also, that player gets first chance to do wars and stuff.

Maybe roll a die to see who begins stuff like that, or alternate who goes first each turn.

Enjoy your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
Thank you so much. Do you think i should allow pvp to make the stakes and competition tougher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.