Jason Hall
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing a math trade which has several copies of this game up. The game has been on my radar for a bit and could be a nice fit in my collection.

I have TS, but have only played it twice with my wife. The first game went pretty well, but after the 2nd game she seemed to lose interest. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it was a combo of length vs not really grocking what she should be doing, partly due to it being new and complicated, partly to not knowing the cards.

She doesn't have a problem with some other med-heavy games. She loves Agricola with cards. The theme I think helped kick start this one so that she can deal with not worrying about getting it at the start.

So a few questions regarding this one

1) Is the play time of 90 min accurate? This could help get the game to the table vs the time of TS.

2) Is it true you don't need as much knowledge of the cards in this vs TS to be able to have a decent enough understanding of the game out of the gate?

3) Do you think if this is a hit and we get a bunch of plays in, that it will make playing TS more appealing to her when I get that one back on the table?

If those 3 things are true, I think I would probably risk it to see. The game seems great and since TS doesn't make it to the table easily it is much different from the other games in our collection.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the teaching time is similar, not sure of playtime as I have not played it yet.

I've only played TS twice as well and even though I'm still figuring my way through it, I find Twilight Struggle totally fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I'm guessing the teaching time is similar, not sure of playtime as I have not played it yet.

I've only played TS twice as well and even though I'm still figuring my way through it, I find Twilight Struggle totally fascinating.

Ditto from my end, but it is the other half that needs the help regarding TS. Typically when I play with other people we are play games with >2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Perlmutter
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

1) I find playtime is closer to 2.5 hours.

2) I do think this is easier to play and not knowing the cards is less punishing. But knowing the cards still helps.

3) Yes! If she likes this game and will then look for a more in-depth game TS is a great step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play time depends on what kind of players you are. Fast players can definitely finish a game in 90 minutes, but I think closer to 2 hours is reasonable for the "average" gamer.

If your wife doesn't like TS it's not a sure bet that she'll like 1960. They are very similar in regards to mechanics and feel. However, it does have better components and is more forgiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
Play time depends on what kind of players you are. Fast players can definitely finish a game in 90 minutes, but I think closer to 2 hours is reasonable for the "average" gamer.

If your wife doesn't like TS it's not a sure bet that she'll like 1960. They are very similar in regards to mechanics and feel. However, it does have better components and is more forgiving.

I'm not convinced that long term she won't be able to get into TS just yet. The first game she had fun, but then she just lost interest after the 2nd and with the newness to the depths of the strategy and length I haven't had a chance to get it back on the table. So my hope would be that 1960 might be a bit easier to get into, while having similar mechanics (and maybe a better theme for her), so that eventually when we play TS again it will click better. Then we would have great 2 player games!

Of course if she ends up liking 1960 and still doesn't do well with TS, that will be great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, 1960 is not only less punishing but less interesting. Ducking card effects make cards even less relevant to the theme, the mechanics aren't that interesting without the card effects . . . I too feel like I'm wandering around the table not knowing what I'm doing in both games. But I like the tension in TS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing time is less than Twilight Struggle.
Card play is, IMO, easier, somewhat lighter than TS.
This is a great game to lead into possibly expanding to TS.

The people I play with love to play this game, sometimes more than TS. However, we are part of that '60's generation and it holds our interest. Not sure if, for example, my son would be as interested to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.