Jim Daniels
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this up on sale at Target for $14.99. My 6 yr old son is a big fan of the App, and he foamed at the mouth when he saw the game.

Overview: The mechanics are simple, your runner runs through the temple trying to avoid pitfalls and being eaten by the Demon Monkey. The boards are modular. There is a fixed setup at start for the first two boards the remaining three are randomized (by whatever method you choose) and the boards are recycled, as the runners and Demon Monkey move off of one it is moved to the other end of the queue so there is a never ending treadmill of danger, much like the app.

Gameplay: Each player starts the game timer (which plays a tension building drumbeat rhythm)
then rolls the dice. Dice are either blank, have a picture of the Demon Monkey, or have 1 or 2 Runners depicted.

The player can reroll any dice that are not showing a Demon Monkey, and do so as often as he/she likes, given the time limit. Once satisfied with the roll, the player stops the timer which either plays a cymbal crash (indicating success) or plays a Demon Monkey screech (indicating failure). Failure means you move behind the last runner...which is always closer to the Demon Monkey. Success allows you to move forward. During your move you may gain additional resurrects, or speed boosts, or you may fall into a pit.

If you fall into a pit (or get eaten by the Demon Monkey) your runner is done. But your play does not end. Each turn after your death you roll and move the Demon Monkey (thus increasing the number of monkey moves and increasing the tension in the game). I have not taken the time to verify it, but it seems that the timer runs faster as the game progresses...giving you less time for rerolls.

Rules and Components: Rules are straightforward and clear. Components are colorful and functional, the Demon Monkey is a favorite.

Final Conclusion:
This was purchased as a family game at the urging of our 6 yr old, he rapidly grasped the rules and enjoys the tension, laughing hysterically when his parents get eaten. It has become one of our family favorites, plays quick and good fun. Well worth the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Lic
Mexico
MTY NL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeap, my 6 year old son loves it madly too, just got to play a few games and it´s a family success! Never played the app though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The timer does speed up as the game progress.
Played this 3 times with my 10 year old last night. He said multiple times "I like this game" so that's a good thing.
It reminds me a bit of Escape but without the constant pressure (and of course not co-op).
It plays quickly enough that it's easy to get in a couple games and do some trash talking.
With 2 players we of course didn't need to move the monkey after someone died, but that seems like it would definitely add to the suspense.
Maybe we're cheating but we plan our moves - "OK, I don't want a 4 or 6" before we actually start rolling with the timer. It can still happen, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.