Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got into worker placement and was looking at both games but they seem so similar. They only difference I can determine is that Castle plays shorter. Is there any other differences and which one do people prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
I recently got into worker placement and was looking at both games but they seem so similar. They only difference I can determine is that Castle plays shorter. Is there any other differences and which one do people prefer?

I love WP games. I am not a big fan of PotE. To me, it was way too scripted. Everything has to be resolved in order and so it felt more like going through the motions than actually playing a game.

I have CfaS but haven't had a chance to play it. I don't recall it giving me the same vibe as PotE so it should be "better."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Pillars of the Earth game, I'd play it over many other WP games. Guess my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
I recently got into worker placement and was looking at both games but they seem so similar.

Castle for all Seasons is not a worker placement game in the usual sense. The main mechanic is simultanous action selection; you each select one of your 8 action cards to play in a given round. As a result of some of the cards, a worker token might get placed on the board; either for ressource collection in future rounds, but in most cases to score some points at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillars is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Cuba so Castles sounds similar to that with the card mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manolo mr
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:

Castle for all Seasons is not a worker placement game in the usual sense. The main mechanic is simultanous action selection; you each select one of your 8 action cards to play in a given round. As a result of some of the cards, a worker token might get placed on the board; either for ressource collection in future rounds, but in most cases to score some points at the end of the game.

This definition is perfect. I have both of them, and each one is different, maybe for worker placement pillars is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
which one do people prefer?

BGGers prefer Pillars. Average rating 7.33 vs 6.85. The BGG rating advantage for Pillars is 7.2 vs 6.6.

That doesn't mean to say that YOU will prefer Pillars, but the strict answer to your question is that people (not all of them) prefer Pillars over Castle. From my experience of the ratings I regard this amount of difference in rating to be significant, but we're all different and the only guaranteed way of getting the best one for you, is to play them of course.

If you're new to Worker Placement, have you looked at Caylus? A very highly regarded game which almost defines the WP genre. I hope I haven't complicated things for you! Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manolo mr
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game of worker placement that I like more is, besides to CAYLUS which someone has already said, Tzolk'in (new in 2012) and village, this one is a really nice game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Elora
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombieconan wrote:
I have Cuba so Castles sounds similar to that with the card mechanic.

I personally like Cuba better than either of those two games.

Perhaps an alternative worker-placement game (which has some other mechanics as well) to look into is Lancaster. Everyone I've introduced it to really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Castles isn't worker placement. People have to stop using that term when you put something out to mark something you own or control. Hey look, in Tigris & Euphrates each player puts leaders on the board, it must be worker placement, right?

Castles is a very good game, don't get me wrong. I think it's under-appreciated here.

Of the two, I like Pillars just a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Yeah, Castles isn't worker placement. People have to stop using that term when you put something out to mark something you own or control.

Problem is, it is classified that way on here. If someone is doing a search for WP, this comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.