Neuroshima Hex!» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The outpost vs Vegas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Canela
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Hi all... I have been playing Neuroshima for about 1,5 years now on my Iphone at least once a day, that said I consider myself a proficient player.

I used to play with all of the armies until I realized that for Hegemony was really tought to beat Moloch, so I started practicing that match over and over again until I managed to beat it very consistently.

After a while finally the app became multiplayer and I started playing even more often.

The Hegemony became my only army and I had a lot of fun beating lots of people with any army the used (some times I lost of course).

Everything changed when Vegas came in.. I found it really weak, but the more I played with it the more I enjoyed it even when losing, so it replaced Hegemony as my prefered army and till 2 weeks ago I exclusivelly played with vegas. My rate was not as high as with Hegemony but every victory felt like I really played it properly as playing with vegas is really more challenging.

But, I realized that there was an army that I think I was never able to beat (on multiplayer) unless the other player was really a newbie, and I am talking about the outpost.

I played against one guy, I was playing Vegas and he played the outpost, so I was really expecting to lose as usual, and indeed it happened, it was a massacre.. 20 pts to 0 my base totally destroyed... and I told my opponent I thought the game was not balanced between these 2 armies and he told me he thought I was wrong, and he could beat me with vegas as he was really good at it.

I can say I never liked Outpost and I barelly played with it about 3 or 4 times in my life, even thou I was able to easily beat him as I just needed to attack him from far away many times as Outpost has a lot of attack tiles. We tryed again and same result...

I just stopped playing... I feel a little disppointed aboout the game not being balanced...

I would like to find someone to tell me that the game is balanced and that I was playing badly against Outpost... is there anyone who could say that? or maybe I am right and these 2 armies are not really balanced?

cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Canela
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
So, the game is unbalanced but everyone is happy? I am confused... =S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
First of all let me say that I have never played with Vegas before cause I have an android device though I am familiar with their army makeup. I am hoping that it gets implemented there soon but I'll leave the specific Vegas vs Outpost strategies to someone else.

The thing you have to remember is that at the point of Vega's release there were 8 official armies each having very different tactics that they used to win. The fact that the developers got the balance as good as they did is nothing short of astounding.

That being said even as far back as the base game it was no secret that certain armies were better matched vs certain other armies.
Moloch's terrifying wall would crumble when pounded by the Outpost's shooters.
Outpost's units would often find themselves butchered by Borgo's sweeping abilities
and Borgo's Units would find Moloch's wall extremely difficult to cut their way through.

Now naturally Victory could swing both ways determined mostly by good playing with a pinch of luck but it was undeniable that the armies weren't perfectly balanced in regards to every other faction.

Hegemony was an interesting case. I personally viewed them as the most balanced base game army although other people’s game reports would indicate otherwise. Even with all the new armies being added I found that no matter who they were up against I never felt like I was playing at a disadvantage. If you wanted one army to play non-stop I don't think you could have made a better choice. Even vs Moloch I don't feel Hedge is at a particular disadvantage. Their high power high speed attacks can take out Moloch's extra toughness while their movement, shooters and nets help hold down the board and as annoying as annoying as Moloch’s wall is once they opened it up they are pretty good at following up with some very hard hitting attacks.

As for Vegas they are similar to Moloch in that they are phenomenal at turtleing. As such it is only natural that the anti-turtleing faction Outpost would perform very well against them. This is just something you are going to have to accept if it is your choice to play the same faction over and over again.

In fact Outpost was often the faction labeled as being underpowered by those less familiar to the game. The fact that someone is claiming that they find them overpowered (in certian situations) is a indication that the game designers did a good job on balancing the factions as a whole.

My advice would be don't limit yourself to just one faction. Play them all even the ones you don't like that much. My personal least favorite are Borgo and Neojungle cause I find the former very boring and the later notoriously luck based but I still play as them cause it mixes things up.

Paper is overpowered. Scissors is fine.
-Rock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the overall game balance, but Vegas is my least favorite bunch of all, both thematically and mechanically. Bribing robots and mutated wildlife is just stupid, but whatever, I could live with it if it's fun.

It isn't. I'd be the last to whine about the luck of draw; it's easily manageable with most of the armies, if you know your tiles. With a well assembled army, whatever you get, you know what to expect from your draw pile, and work with that in mind. Vegas differs because of the low unit count, and its dependence on what your opponent fields. It matters not only because the opponent's draws effect you as well, so it gets really unpredictable, but more so because the opponent can game the system, and can simply piggyback when you get action or take-over tiles, with holding back, or discarding his own units. Since Vegas doesn't have a great firepower, not getting hijackable units severely limits its possibilities. I'm not saying it's impossible to win with Vegas, it's just quite annoying playing with them for my taste.

It probably won't help you, but if anyone likes the concept of taking over enemy units, Rustan's Vlad makes it more viable. It does only one thing, but it does it better, and you have more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dusty crispy
msg tools
Ya every army has bad match ups

But overall the balance is good, just wish you were unable to see what army the other guy picks

Some tips for vegas vs outpost

Don't turtle!!

Play center board and focus on mobility and temporary take over

I'm not saying you'll win every match but your results should be better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notsteve Notlawton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Wow... Sorry I'm tardy to the party! Yeah, I only play Vegas and Neojungle and I can tell you I really can't beat the outpost as Vegas. The main problem I have is that I have to live in constant fear of his Scopers and Sabatouers, as both can leave my whole army ripe for the kill. Any tips would be awesome. Also Vegas vs doomsday machine Is downright ridiculous, with his rotation and splitter making Agitators downright unusable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.