2 Posts

Cutthroat Caverns» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using Rally and Unwanted Effects Relic Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
msg tools
mbmb
We played a game where someone used Rally to boost a different player's attack so that they would kill the monster rather than the person after them.

So I'm player 1. I Rally player 2 giving them the kill, instead of player 3. (Player 2's damage kills the monster in the damage stack so player 3's attack doesn't matter)

Player 3 had a relic that said that they could sacrifice itself to prevent any unwanted action that targeted them. Since the rally "targeted" player 2 we said that they could not sacrifice the relic because they weren't being directly targeted like the card said.

The discussion then went on to discern whether an "indirect" targeting was valid. In the end we voted that they couldn't stop the rally by sacrificing their relic because they weren't being directly targeted. Was this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
We played a game where someone used Rally to boost a different player's attack so that they would kill the monster rather than the person after them.

So I'm player 1. I Rally player 2 giving them the kill, instead of player 3. (Player 2's damage kills the monster in the damage stack so player 3's attack doesn't matter)

Player 3 had a relic that said that they could sacrifice itself to prevent any unwanted action that targeted them. Since the rally "targeted" player 2 we said that they could not sacrifice the relic because they weren't being directly targeted like the card said.

The discussion then went on to discern whether an "indirect" targeting was valid. In the end we voted that they couldn't stop the rally by sacrificing their relic because they weren't being directly targeted. Was this correct?

It was correct not to stop the Rally. 1. it was not a direct target and 2. Rallly wouldn't qualify unless it was really 'Negative' per the rules, ie forcing you to be a target of a specific attack.

Here is the rules quote:

NEGATIVE/UNWANTED CARDS/EFFECTS: Certain cards refer to “negative” cards targeted at you by other Players. A negative card is defined as any card that acts on a player in an unwanted or damaging way. Critical Miss, Edge Out, Trip, My Hero, Human Shield, Mixed Signals, Plan B, Unintentional Strike,Stab & Grab, I Think He Called You Ugly are all typical examples of an unwanted effect. Cards like Twist the Knife, Not So Tough and Rally do not count, unless they have been played to draw anattack from a creature who targets Players who swing hardest in a Round. Tougher Than He Looks and Crowd only qualify if you would have scored a kill otherwise or if it was played to draw the attack of a creature targeting the lightest swing and you are hit as a result. Alchemist Fire, while nasty, does not target you directly and is not counted. Nor is simply playing a standard Attack card that scores another player the kill before you. Sure, it’s unwanted, but it is not directly targeting you. These guidelines should be applied to any in game ruling on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.